Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-18-2007, 07:52 AM

Reef_kid is on a distinguished road
Default Garlic :)

so i have read a lot of different threads on people feeding garlic to cure ick or other diseases.
im a immunology/microbiology major so thought it might shed some light on how garlic works in the reef for diseases treatment and fish health

garlic contains many medical properties

Ajoene (E-, and Z- 4,5,9-trithiadodeca-1,6,11-triene 9-oxide)
this is a chemical compound found in garlic
a broad spectrum antimicrobial agent and antioxidant

Allicine (2-propene-1-sulfinothioic acid S-2-propenyl ester)
this is a chemical in garlic that when you cut it up
an enzyme in the garlic alliinase cleaves allicine into a new product
alliin this is a powerful antimicrobial and anti fungal agent

when you feed the oils or garlic mush to your fish
these "oils" will be dispersed into the body of the fish
just like antibiotics we take

hope that sheds light on garlic and why it works

cheers dave
Old 11-18-2007, 08:28 AM

Salmon King is on a distinguished road
Default garlic

Are you saying garlic kills ick.I have talked to alot of marine biologists and your local pet stores. They all said it was not a cure for ick .What bugs me is when somebody new in this hobby takes advice from people to use garlic and loses there fish.Are you garlic people going to buy him a new one.

Last edited by Salmon King; 11-18-2007 at 08:36 AM. Reason: word
Old 11-18-2007, 08:53 AM

Reef_kid is on a distinguished road

you have to remember that marine biologists are trained in a very different aspect of science. though immunology and microbiology may over lap
dosnt mean that those marine biologists know anything about chemical compounds or the nature of chemicals in a immunological or microbiological view
garlic has many chemical compounds that are used in medicine
and to treat infections. you have to also note that just because a fish is covered in white dots dose not mean it has ick. could be many other microbial organisms. just like when we have a sore throat or cold may be a bacterial infection such as S. pyognes or could be a yeast infestation

garlic has anti microbial agents as well as antioxidants and anti fungals
most of the time these are for protection of the plant itself but serves a purpouse in another aspect of the world just happens that it works in the fish tank on some micoorganisms

so yes garlic does have antimicrobial effects
Old 11-18-2007, 09:56 AM

Default garlic

Are tou saying garlic kills ich
Old 11-18-2007, 01:52 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon King View Post
Are tou saying garlic kills ich

Nobody is saying garlic kills ich Rob. We're saying somehow it removes an ich infestation when fed to afflicted fish. But yes, it certainly does work. I'm not sure why you're so opposed to that being possible.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:17 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_kid View Post
you have to remember that marine biologists are trained in a very different aspect of science. though immunology and microbiology may over lap
dosnt mean that those marine biologists know anything about chemical compounds or the nature of chemicals in a immunological or microbiological view
garlic has many chemical compounds that are used in medicine
and to treat infections. you have to also note that just because a fish is covered in white dots dose not mean it has ick. could be many other microbial organisms. just like when we have a sore throat or cold may be a bacterial infection such as S. pyognes or could be a yeast infestation

garlic has anti microbial agents as well as antioxidants and anti fungals
most of the time these are for protection of the plant itself but serves a purpouse in another aspect of the world just happens that it works in the fish tank on some micoorganisms

so yes garlic does have antimicrobial effects
Well put!
Old 11-18-2007, 02:34 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

I've never lost a fish to ich and garlic has always been my "snake oil"

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 11-18-2007, 04:04 PM

Default iCH

Hey Reef Kid arnt you a first year student.I wonder why fish stores and fish farms dont use garlic to get rid of there parasites.You know I resd about garlic 10 years ago how it would cure ich in reef tanks.I thought I should market it.I did do reaserch and found it was a wise tale.How come when I have grilled all the pet stores about wether garlic works the all say no. They have delt with more ick then you would see in a lifetime.As I say are you garlic people going to pay for somebody new to this hobby that loses there fish because they used garlic to kill there ick
Old 11-18-2007, 04:16 PM

findingnemo1 is on a distinguished road

Isn't this and everything in life what a single person believes works for them? It is a matter of opinion. You will find many people who say it works and just as many who say it doesn't.The first thing we tell everybody new to the hobby is do the research. So really if someone where to say to someone new who has ick to try the garlic than really they should be researching it first anyways and drawing there own conclusions.We have this WWW at our fingertips. Just because someone loses a fish to ick when someone says "oh the garlic works for me" doesn't make that one person responsible for there dead fish. If it works for the person who is suggesting it than i guess it works for them.
I think this hobby can seriously bring out the worst in people. Does any one person have all the answers? Not likely. We all have our idea's and i think that shooting down other peoples thoughts and idea's is wrong.
If someone doesn't like the idea of garlic than wouldn't it be just easier to post on the thread there own thoughts and let the person who asked the question make an informed decision but a decision that they made and will ineveitably learn from either way if it works or not?

Just my 2 cents worth which really may not be much

Lisa

Old 11-18-2007, 04:21 PM

SeaShell is on a distinguished road

I can only speak from personal experience. I've kept reef tanks for about 10 years now and have seen ich too many times. I have tried many things; pulled my tank apart to Q the fish and copper them, I've tried Kick Ich in the reef tank, but the only thing that's knocked those little spots off is Garlic. SeaChem's Garlic Guard is my best friend. I'm sure it doesn't kill the parasites, but it sure removes them from my fish.

I currently have a slight ich outbreak. I caught it early and am soaking the fish food in garlic before feeding, and this morning (third day in), the spots are gone. As well, the parasites didn't afflict any but two fish in my tank.

I'm sticking to garlic. Other methods add more stress to the tank and I lose more fish with them.

Just my personal experience... I'm no scholar!