Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-14-2017, 12:20 AM

devocole is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to chime in that I'm confused with my cyano issue as well. My nutrient load is very low. I use Probiotic AF. If I switch salt and it goes away I'll post again.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:41 AM

1bigfish is on a distinguished road

If you switch salts and your cyano goes away, I would be very interested to know what salt you switched to. Hope you sort out the problem.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:18 AM
Vendor

JamRobo is on a distinguished road

Instant ocean works well for me im sticking with it now as it cleared all the cyano/ dinos fast.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2017, 08:19 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamRobo View Post
Instant ocean works well for me im sticking with it now as it cleared all the cyano/ dinos fast.

Are you using plain IO or the reef crystals? I need to get rid of this $#!¥ asap as I hate looking at this slime. I'm hoping with a few WC with new salt it goes away.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:16 PM
Vendor

JamRobo is on a distinguished road

Reef cystals. And it will go away. Best thing u can do is watee change and remove as much as possible. But in the days to follow when ot tries to come back just use a small hose and syphon it down into a filter sock in your sump then swap the sock and wash it. Do this every day till its gone. Wont take long.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamRobo View Post
Reef cystals. And it will go away. Best thing u can do is watee change and remove as much as possible. But in the days to follow when ot tries to come back just use a small hose and syphon it down into a filter sock in your sump then swap the sock and wash it. Do this every day till its gone. Wont take long.

Ok sweet! I will give it a whirl, hopefully it takes care of the problem.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:27 AM

spedly is on a distinguished road

These stories of weird algae and dinos with AF salt are interesting. Up until December of 2016 I was battling a neverending problem with algae. I would vacuum up gobs of it while doing water changes. I was also using AF Reef salt. I was running an Evergrow IT2080 LED fixture at the time. In the middle of December it died on me and I didn't get any new lights on it until the end of that month.

Since there were no lights on for two weeks it killed all of the algae. I put a new Evergrow IT5080 fixture as a replacement and I have not had any algae problems since then. Zippo. Nada. Barely even any crystalline for that matter. I reduced the time that the lights are on and reduced the intensity a bit but not by a lot.

I dunno. I'm not a scientist. Perhaps there is a relationship with the lights and something in the salt? I dunno. That's my experience anyways.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:20 AM

Definitely interesting! I have an Evergrow light fixture on my Reef as well. Normally I wouldn't be so upset, except it only presented itself upon making the switch to AF. Literally within the first 2 WC (30g / 20%) it started forming. So what I did was did larger WC thinking I needed to flush it out, besides everything that goes sideways is usually fixed with a WC. WRONG... I just put fuel in to the fire and it got worse to the point of stringy slime covering LR and corals.

How is your tank now? Did you switch salts and to what?
Old 08-15-2017, 06:20 AM

spedly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKoKoMan View Post
Definitely interesting! I have an Evergrow light fixture on my Reef as well. Normally I wouldn't be so upset, except it only presented itself upon making the switch to AF. Literally within the first 2 WC (30g / 20%) it started forming. So what I did was did larger WC thinking I needed to flush it out, besides everything that goes sideways is usually fixed with a WC. WRONG... I just put fuel in to the fire and it got worse to the point of stringy slime covering LR and corals.

How is your tank now? Did you switch salts and to what?
I'm still using AF Reef Salt exclusively. I get a little green algae on the glass but it's not bad. My live rock is pretty much algae-free.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:58 AM

DorySaid is on a distinguished road

I've used AF probiotic salt before and in my opinion its a good salt. I've always had periodic outbreaks of this and that but can't attribute that necessarily to the salt from AF. At one stage, my nitrates were 50 and my phosphate was 1.0 with sps frags in the tank. So probably nutrient related problems causing the outbreaks.
I think the price point of AF products are great and to me, the fact that i can mix up their salt in 15 minutes it's crystal clear and ready to use with no junk left behind is worth using it.