Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-23-2015, 04:36 AM

Evilweevil is on a distinguished road
Default Moving a 95 g tank

Hi everybody so time has come we want to do an upgrade to our 95 gallon wave front maybe up to around 200 gallon but first we need to move the old tank to make room for it ,now here is the tricky part, we have the tank sitting on a ledge above the split level entrance the sump is in the basement about 30 feet away so to set up the new tank I need to move the 95 while keeping all our fish and critters alive to a new location , we will be changing over most everything in the system new sump , plumbing and a bigger better pump .
To do it with the equipment I have I would need to build a new stand nothing fancy just something strong and on wheels so I could move it when the tank is on , I would need to partially drain the tank slide it over onto the new stand (I don't know if that's even possible it's probably stuck to the top by now ) then move it to its temp location(will the floor be strong enough to roll on?) then re hook the sump and fill the tank and hopefully everything is fine and our carefully balanced rock formations don't come tumbling down , I also worry about the sand bottom getting to stirred up as the tank would be without moving water for an hour at the least until who knows how long 2-3 hours maybe. also I worry about the integrity of the tank if a person starts pushing and moving it to slide it onto the temp stand will the seams hold up
Aaaaaahhhhhggggggg!!!!! I could just keep going with the problems I can foresee happening , has anyone here moved a tank in a similar fashion ? Can it be done ? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do it better with minimal stress and risk to the fish?
I will try and get some pics up of the location of the tank sometime soon
Old 11-23-2015, 04:40 AM

e46er is on a distinguished road

if your wave front doesnt have a sump which thats what it sounds like since your talking about sliding it. I wouldnt slide it even with just 6" of water in it it wasnt designed for moving weights and force.
Id go buy a couple 20 G rubbermaid containers for the rock and fish toss the sand. drain the wave tank move to temp location, put fish and rock back in that and then you can setup the new tank properly taking your time to not forget anything. transfer livestock over to new tank.

Owner of Mountain Ridge Heating and Gas
Class A gas fitter, HVAC
Old 11-24-2015, 09:59 PM

Evilweevil is on a distinguished road

Yes I think your right it scares me to much to attempt I think , I might look for a temporary tank that I can set up and move things over so I can build the new tank without any worries