Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 04-22-2015, 11:56 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobytron View Post
What?

I've had dogs and cats that do the same thing.

When you think about it, in the wild, in the ocean, you just don't have the opportunity to see your reflection all that often.

It would probably freak me out too if I had never seen or heard of a mirror before.
Yea whatever. Maybe your pets are breathing in second hand smoke or they're just retarded. Like a said to the other "I read it on the net hobbyist" post a link.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:06 AM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Yea whatever. Maybe your pets are breathing in second hand smoke or they're just retarded. Like a said to the other "I read it on the net hobbyist" post a link.
Have you never put a mirror in front of an aggressive fish?

I don't think this is some rare unheard of phenomena.

Putting a mirror in front of your tank to get an aggressive fish to leave others alone and focus on its reflection is a pretty age old trick.

I think most experienced reefers would be well aware of this.

try it next time you have an issue.

You should maybe try to google something yourself before getting all politically incorrect and rude...maybe you yourself should take a look in a mirror.

Last edited by gobytron; 04-23-2015 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:19 AM

Yea thanks for the tip there brainy. I've used that trick several times in my many years of experience in this hobby. It does work but I highly doubt it leads to death. I only go by experience and not crap people dream up on the net. And as for being rude, I'm just giving you a taste of your own medicine.

Last edited by Aquattro; 04-23-2015 at 01:20 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:17 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Oh man I see a salt poll coming on lol
Old 04-23-2015, 01:45 AM

reefwithareefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearth View Post
Yup most fish species if they see an image of itself can attack as they perceive it as a threat to their dominance so will attack their own image
Yes, I have seen other animals like kittens do it and birds. I just did not think it would be a fight to the death.

This may pose an issue in my tank. I have a penninsula and can see the fish seeing themselves in the end of the tank when the light conditions at certain times of the day, create a mirror for them...
Who would have thunk...man, learn something new everyday. Only been doing this for a year and something as simple as that, I did not know. I will have to do more research...geesh...

Last edited by reefwithareefer; 04-23-2015 at 01:51 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:49 AM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwithareefer View Post
Yes, I have seen other animals like kittens do it and birds. I just did not think it would be a fight to the death.

This now poses an issue in my tank. I have a penninsula and can see the fish seeing themselves in the end of the tank when the light conditions at certain times of the day, create a mirror for them...
Who would have thunk...man, learn something new everyday. Only been doing this for a year and something as simple as that, i did not know.
While it is known they can attack their own image I have not heard of any fish fighting to the death with themselves although I have read that they can exhaust themselves to the point where they can become targets themselves leading to possible injury and possible death from said injury
Old 04-23-2015, 02:21 AM

Well sometimes it's just best to share actual experience rather than just what you have read. Lots of that stuff that you read is usually just what some self proclaimed expert which is usually a newbie has posted. I'm by no means an expert at all but I may be what Brad edited our of one of my posts haha

Last edited by Madreefer; 04-23-2015 at 02:26 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:28 AM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Well sometimes it's just best to share actual experience rather than just what you have read. Lots of that stuff that you read is usually just what some self proclaimed expert which is usually a newbie has posted.
That is very true Bill but I am sort of a nut when it comes to researching and I generally try to confirm from multiple sources about subjects I generally don't take information from one source and spout it off as truth I look it up in several locations from various authors and make an informed choice.

And as we know the internet never ever lies
Old 04-23-2015, 02:51 AM

reefwithareefer is on a distinguished road

I am not sure if only posting from experience is the only way for learning and open discussion. I think most folks in here
are capable of forming their own opinions based on whether the info is/was absolute crud or scientific. I, for one have never been interested in controlling the thoughts of others. Yet I do see a lot of blatant misinformation and it makes me wonder how the critters in their tanks are doing etc etc. I certainly believe in research to form an educated opinion before doing something that could do harm.

What I do know, is that I hate seeing members of a small community bashing each other as it probably forms a lousy opinion of otherwise good people. Then again, I have always been one that could care less what one thinks of me, so have at it.

Sorry for going off topic in this thread....How many chromis does it take to break a mirror in half?

Last edited by reefwithareefer; 04-23-2015 at 02:59 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:44 AM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwithareefer View Post
I have always been one that could care less what one thinks of me
f?

Holy crap you're another Tom!! Nice to meet ya.