Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Photography

Old 02-13-2015, 09:30 PM

Treebeard is on a distinguished road

Of course its not going to compete with a $2,000 camera. But for the average user that wants to capture nice video and the occasional still a GoPro is an affordable solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthEaterBob View Post
This was supposed to be an edit but CanReef does not let me edit my posts...

I guess I shouldn't be so rude and explain my reasoning.

Do you think a $400 camera made to be cheap (relatively), durable, and easy to use is going to compete with a $2000 camera made solely for high quality photos and video? Additionally, Go Pros and other cameras of its type have the same problem as camera phones. Capable of taking quality HD videos and photos but...they have no zoom and true macro capability which makes them limited in what they can do. I just think you are putting Go-Pro onto a pedestal on which it does not deserve to be on. They are definitely solid cameras, but like Apple products, too expensive for what you are paying for because they are a big brand

Additionally, the OP has mentioned that he is actually a SHE and that she wants to pursue macro photography. DLSR is the only way to get quality macro images and get super-macro shots.

Also, check out that guys videos. He does some AMAZING videography.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:57 PM

EarthEaterBob is on a distinguished road

Oh, so a DLSR can take better HD video than a Go-Pro then

Ill admit that a Go-Pro for UW videography out competes an Intova and other action cams in the market in terms of video quality...but guess what, it also costs 3-4x the amount! So while the video from the GoPro 4s is very impressive, IMO it is not what I consider an affordable option.

Some shots with my Intova...not comparable to a DLSR, perhaps comparable to a Go-Pro when you keep in mind it costs a third of the price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcVM9qLlHeg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwBt_KrSln4

Anyways, the point is, the OP wants a camera for macro photography. Something that action cams, Intova AND GoPro, are not suited for in the least. And a decent ($2000-3000) DLSR setup will take quality, comparable if not better then a GoPros, video while taking still shots that a GoPro would not ever be able to pull. Whether that is in the OP`s budget is up to them.

Edit: Oops, I might have misinterpreted OP's comment, my sincerest apologies if you're a dude and not a she!

Last edited by EarthEaterBob; 02-13-2015 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:50 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Additionally, the OP has mentioned that he is actually a SHE and that she wants to pursue macro photography.
Quote:
Edit: Oops, I might have misinterpreted OP's comment, my sincerest apologies if you're a dude and not a she!
Yup, for the record - totally a dude. but with a name like Dominique, that mistake happens a lot without face to face communication, lol.

So, firstly, I asked the question here and not a camera or scuba forum because I'm not active on any other sites, nor do I really wish to be. I've noticed we do have some guys and gals here that are into both diving and photography so I thought I'd ask here.

I did originally state that the greater majority of the usage will be done while diving and that macro photography is my focus (no pun intended ) but something that can integrate video would be cool. But like everything in life, I'm seeing there is no good 1 thing does everything fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebeard View Post
The OP stated he was considering a GoPro, so I assume he intends on shooting video and the occasional still.
Like stated above, probably the other way around. Having not seen or used a GoPro, I assumed it was both a camera and video camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebeard View Post
Nice video! But shot with a $3,100 DSLR. Oh, and that's just the body. Tack on another $3,000 or so for the Ikelite housing and lenses and you are ready to dive! I think that may be little over the OP's budget.
Totally correct. I'm not going there. I already own an Olympus E-620 with a plethora of lenses, but the housing has always been hard to find (almost impossible to find now), cost $1000 US plus any extension rings for lenses, plus a tray, plus strobes, etc, etc, etc. Seeing how this or its accessories was no longer made or readily available, I thought of getting something more readily suitable for diving use with the added functionality of using it in other sports/activities I enjoy.

Last edited by daplatapus; 02-14-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:23 PM

Well, ended up with the Gopro Hero4 Silver. Took it out diving and I'm pretty impressed with what it can do. I've realized I definitely need better lighting and some other way of holding onto it. Also for what I like, I've ordered some dive filters and 2 macro filters.
Anyway, uploading a few vids to youtube now, but in the meantime, here's what I came up with on our very first outing out at Nanoose, just north of Nanaimo.

http://youtu.be/Exk8C4nSCQo
Old 02-28-2015, 04:34 PM

crimper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
Wow! Is that a giant rock crab?

Nice shots, thank's for sharing.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:32 PM

Its a Puget Sound King Crab, I had never seen one yet. Did the link work with the video?
Old 03-01-2015, 03:33 AM

crimper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
Its a Puget Sound King Crab, I had never seen one yet. Did the link work with the video?
Yup the link works. Nice shots. You need a red filter and a tray (SRP maybe), and you're set.

Last edited by crimper; 03-01-2015 at 03:47 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:37 AM

Already on order got my video lights in yesterday. Dove today with it just in my hand, holy cow what a bright light. Loved it
Old 03-01-2015, 04:54 AM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

Craigdillman: Can you remember at what depths you were diving at in the video you posted? What accessories do you have for your GoPro? Any filters, lights, etc? The colours were better than I thought you'd get out of that camera.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! Keep em coming. If you think of other factors or camera's to think of, let us know.[/quote]

Sorry I missed this from a while ago the only addon we had is the red filter for it we dived from 40 up too 100 feet there I found anything too shallow the red filter would wash out but soon as you dropped down like 20 feet your golden love the camera love the editing
Old 03-01-2015, 02:22 PM

Treebeard is on a distinguished road

Nice shots!

Here is what I picked up for my GoPro:
SRP Tray
I also plan on getting these arms.
These are the filters I bought.
I am fairly certain you need the green filter for cold water diving off the BC coast. The red filters are meant for blue water.

I have one of these lights ordered. Hopefully it will arrive before we leave for Bonaire.
If the light works out OK I will likely pick up another one.
I also bought this pole.