Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Photography

Old 02-12-2015, 05:26 PM

FishingGoalie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
Hey guys and gals. I'm looking at picking up a GoPro camera. What models have you used, do you wish you got something else, what do you recommend?

I'm fairly rough and active with my gear. Probably 80% of this camera's use is going to be diving or under water for various other reasons. Initially I'm leaning to the Hero4 Silver probably because of the view screen which is not on the Black model. The black model however appears to have better pic, vid and fov qualities.

Any suggestions or thoughts?
Ok so there is a very large difference in a GoPro and a normal camera, (i.e. Sea Life DC1400, and the TG-2) I have had all 3 and still have all 3. When i first got my GoPro I used it for diving mainly, but also used it for snowmobiling, and quading.

I loved it and still do but it wasn't what i wanted. I like still shots for diving and the GoPro does not do still shots for diving very well as the shutter speed is not very good and you can't attach a good flash system to it. As for video the GoPro is probably the best video camera you can get. Just attach a red filter and away you go.

Then I had the TG-2 and let me tell you it is the sweetest camera I've ever used it did everything perfectly was easy to use and took absolutely amazing photos. The main reason i liked it was because i could download other programs onto it. So what i did was find a program specifically for the SeaLife DC1400 then found on the same forum a DC1400 program made for the Olympus Pen (TG-2) which made the camera automatically add filters to change at certain depths. This camera has been the best I've used but it is quite expensive and its very large to try and take on vacation. But then again all good cameras are quite large. Lol

Now for the SeaLife DC1400 which i just purchase a couple months back that way when we went on shorter trips I didn't have to haul a massive Gun Case full of camera gear. Now before all you camera guys start saying the Dc1400s are garbage the one i have is new, and what has happened in the last year is they have paired up with Dragon Strobes (top of the line flashes specifically for underwater use) 3 years ago i would never even think about buying one and now they are actually probably one of the best bang for buck or beginner cameras. I have used it on multiple trips and still really really enjoy it. Its shutter speed isn't as good as the TG-2 so I don't find is quite as good. Its ease of use under the water is fantastic with the Piano style buttons.

It all depends on what you want to do with it.

If you want mainly stills for definitely spend the extra money and get a TG-2 or 3 and get a strobe for it. Take a camera course to learn how your camera works in order to set the white balance under the water. The Camera place may even do it for you if you tell them thats what you want to use it for.

If your just looking for video the GoPro is definitely the way to go. But make sure you get a red filter.

And if space, and price is an issue go for a DC1400.

If i were to rebuy all my cameras i would've definitely bought the TG-2 or 3 and bought a extended tray so i could have a flash arm on one side a go pro mount on the other side, that i could switch out for a underwater flash light during night dives.

I know that there are other cameras out there, but this is just my experience and i don't have any specific complaint about any of the cameras.

Hope this Helps
Old 02-12-2015, 05:29 PM

FishingGoalie is on a distinguished road

Forgot to mention i have the Hero 3 Black edition
Old 02-13-2015, 02:27 AM

Treebeard is on a distinguished road

I recently purchased a GoPro Hero 4 Silver, SRP red & macro filters and SRP tray. I will dive with it for the first time in March in Bonaire and post some movies when we return. My budget ran dry so no lights this trip but next trip for sure.

In my opinion if you intend on shooting stills, you need a good dedicated point & shoot or DSLR if you have the cash.
The cost of the housing will likely cost more than the camera but the image quality will be better than those "underwate ready" cameras".
If you are shooting video you need a dedicated video camera and nothing beats a GoPro for the money. I have around $750 invested in my GoPro system and by the time I get some lights it will be at least $1,200.

In either case still or video, it is essential to use external lighting moved away from the camera lens with a tray and arms. If not, backscatter will be a problem.

If you have any doubts on the kind of video you can shoot with a GoPro, check out this divers work: Critters Of Sulawesi

Check out the GoPro forum at Scubaboard for lots of good advice.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:39 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Wow, a bunch of camera's I've never looked at yet. While video's are cool, and I'd definitely want something that can do them, if I'm totally honest with myself, my love really is macro photography. It drives my dive partner nuts when he's looking around at the big blue and I've got my face cramped in some hole looking to see what's in there. But, even to his reluctant admission, I see way more life than he does, lol.

I guess with all the suggestions so far and a bit more reading I've done here's the camera's I'm still got in the running (in time I may end up with more than one) in no particular order:

GoPro hero 4 Silver
Intova Sport HD II
Intova Edge X
Sealife DC1400 Sea Dragon Maxx Duo

Money isn't as much of an issue as my satisfaction in the end. If I can't afford what I want now, I'll wait till I can. Nothing worse than settling for something you can buy now but don't use it because it sucks.

I have a bit of experience using some under water camera gear. My dive buddy has an older Sony DSLR (can't remember what model) with an underwater housing and I'm not that impressed. Buttons are hard to deal with, impossible when I wear my dry gloves for winter diving around here. He doesn't have any strobes for it so backscatter is always present if you try and use the flash. My UK1200 light does ok as a light source, but it's very pinpoint-ish so you always see the circular light ring.

Craigdillman: Can you remember at what depths you were diving at in the video you posted? What accessories do you have for your GoPro? Any filters, lights, etc? The colours were better than I thought you'd get out of that camera.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! Keep em coming. If you think of other factors or camera's to think of, let us know.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:39 PM

EarthEaterBob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebeard View Post
I have around $750 invested in my GoPro system and by the time I get some lights it will be at least $1,200.
This is why I don't like GoPros...too expensive for what you get. My Intova, two videos lights, macro lens, and rig (the latter two DiY) cost me....$400. Yup, the same cost as a base GoPro.

For the same price as your fully outfitted go pro you could get this:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/wes...r-housing.html

With faaaaaaar better picture quality, housing, light, strobe, camera, and true macro capability. It can also take higher quality video as well. People may say "But look! This guy is taking macro with a GoPro." Sure, its possible, but extremely difficult and stretching the limits of what the GoPro can do. Why go through all that trouble when you could just use a DLSR+housing?

If you do plan to really go into Macro photography I highly suggest a DLSR+macro lens+housing+strobes and practice practice practice. Yes, its a big investment and difficult in cold water but you'll just run into frustration trying to take macro with these video cameras.

I mean compare mine...

to my friend with a DLSR...

No contest. Also, you'll definitely need a flood light for video and strobe for pictures. Spot lights don't work at all...

I love macro life and photography as well and plan to upgrade to a DLSR when I have the spare cash Just my $0.02

Last edited by EarthEaterBob; 02-13-2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:54 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

OP, realize you're asking on a reef forum but are you considering this camera just for diving? If just diving can see a dedicated DSLR but if you looking for something to strap onto the dog, hang off your helmet, bumper of the truck, installing a wx stn and occasionally diving nothing wrong with a GoPro.

Weather Station

Last edited by mark; 02-13-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:01 PM

The OP stated he was considering a GoPro, so I assume he intends on shooting video and the occasional still. So why the recommendations for a a DSLR? A DSLR is going to shoot better HD video than a GoPro 4? Really??
Old 02-13-2015, 09:07 PM

lol, yes.

http://www.oceanshutter.com/short-films

http://www.oceanshutter.com/underwateranimals

Last edited by EarthEaterBob; 02-13-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:27 PM

This was supposed to be an edit but CanReef does not let me edit my posts...

I guess I shouldn't be so rude and explain my reasoning.

Do you think a $400 camera made to be cheap (relatively), durable, and easy to use is going to compete with a $2000 camera made solely for high quality photos and video? Additionally, Go Pros and other cameras of its type have the same problem as camera phones. Capable of taking quality HD videos and photos but...they have no zoom and true macro capability which makes them limited in what they can do. I just think you are putting Go-Pro onto a pedestal on which it does not deserve to be on. They are definitely solid cameras, but like Apple products, too expensive for what you are paying for because they are a big brand

Additionally, the OP has mentioned that he is actually a SHE and that she wants to pursue macro photography. DLSR is the only way (at least easily) to get quality macro images and get super-macro shots.

Also, check out that guys videos. He does some AMAZING videography.

Last edited by EarthEaterBob; 02-13-2015 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:27 PM

Nice video! But shot with a $3,100 DSLR. Oh, and that's just the body. Tack on another $3,000 or so for the Ikelite housing and lenses and you are ready to dive! I think that may be little over the OP's budget.
Go any comparable video to share from your Intova?