Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Old 12-31-2014, 04:23 AM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road
Default Maxspect Gyre

So I see a couple people here have got these pumps running in their tanks. I have to admit at first they sounded cool and I briefly looked into them a bit. But for now I'm concentrating on just getting my tank wet, lol.
But I have a reservation about them that I'm wondering if anyone will notice, and if it's even a legitimant concern. I've noticed in spots of my tank that don't have random flow, but one pretty constant one, my corals grow leaning that direction and after a while it looks pretty funky, and not (in my opinion) in a good way
From all the demonstrations I've seen, it pretty much seems there will only be one general direction of flow throughout a tank. Does anyone think it'll be a problem? Are you integrating other pumps in conjunction with the Gyre to "randomize" flow?
Fill me in.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:49 AM

Trevor W is on a distinguished road

First I will just say that NO I do not own one of these nor have I seen one in person, however from the videos that I have seen in regards to the built in controller it appears to have several modes such as pulsing and timed reversing of the flow direction. not sure if that answers your concern or not. To me it appears to function in regards to control and modes the same as most controllable pumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qEseS7-pZ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9bi1grw00E
Old 12-31-2014, 05:07 AM

westreefmang is on a distinguished road

I have had one running now 2 months and i run a pump oppisite the gyre u get more the random flow but i also do somedays flip it to reverse timed and it seems too work well aswell i have had no problems with the gyre it has made my flow alot more spread to spots that struggled before with flow cant wait till they release the sinked controller for gyre
Old 12-31-2014, 05:22 AM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

I run mine in alternating mode. With a small wp10 on random mode pointed to intersect the gyre flow. Nothing but good things to say about it

Replaced 2 mp40s with 1 gyre
Old 12-31-2014, 03:32 PM

theokie is on a distinguished road

I use one A paddle and one B paddle and have mine alternate every 2 hours, really has caused my hammers to extend more then ever.

It also has really supplemented my closed loop to make things even more random. I am looking forward to a controller interface as then I can sink up my closed loop valves with the gyre to produce some really varied patterns and ensure nothing settles.