Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 02-14-2010, 11:50 PM

Stones is on a distinguished road
Default Reef tank controller capabilities

I know there are quite a few people on this forum that are currently running some sort of full system controller on their reef tanks. I'm in the market for a controller for my new tank build however I'm looking for one that can control my system's pH by diverting water from the automatic top off through my kalk reactor if my pH is low or by by-passing the kalk reactor and going straight into the sump if the pH is high.

Is anyone out there currently running such a configuration? If not, do you know of a controller that is capable of being programmed in such a way? I'm sure I saw a TOTM on RC that was setup in a similar fashion.

I was leaning towards a Digital Aquatics Reef Keeper Elite but they haven't got back to me regarding this question. I am willing to give another controller a shot though so long as its net capable.

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:08 AM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Have a look at the Neptune Apex. I am sure it is capable of doing what you want. Also not only is it net acessable but also net controlable which the DA one isnt.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:44 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

The one on RC simply had two Tunze ATO systems plugged into a Neptune controller. If the tanks pH became to high it would shut off the one running through a kalk reactor and run the one that just pumped clean RO/DI water. Any Neptune controller could do that easy.

The program could look like this:
If pH > 08.50 Then AT1 OFF
If pH < 08.50 Then AT1 ON
If pH > 08.50 Then AT2 ON
If pH < 08.50 Then AT2 OFF

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour

Last edited by whatcaneyedo; 02-15-2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:51 PM

Stones is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the information guys. I know very little about the Neptune Controllers so I'll have to look into them. The reason I was leaning towards a RK Elite was because you can wire micro switches directly into the modules allowing for multiple auto-top off controls as I need to run at least 2 if not 3 microswitches for water level regulation.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:14 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I've got two water-on-the-floor sensors and a water level sensor wired to my Neptune controller as well so that can be done too.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 02-15-2010, 04:34 PM

Kryptic4L is on a distinguished road

my biggest problem so far with DA seem's to be how fast they are getting thing's done, its been a slow process. Still looking to order my salinity probe as they have been sold out for awhile. And even getting them out the gate to begin with took forever.

Myreef software should be right around the corner est at april. But im not really holding on to the promise to hard.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:31 PM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptic4L View Post
my biggest problem so far with DA seem's to be how fast they are getting thing's done, its been a slow process. Still looking to order my salinity probe as they have been sold out for awhile. And even getting them out the gate to begin with took forever.

Myreef software should be right around the corner est at april. But im not really holding on to the promise to hard.
That is exactly what caused me to pick the Neptune over DA. Neptune is already doing what DA has been promising to do for a year.