Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-08-2009, 04:25 AM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road
Default Can adding Mg or raising Alk make sps tips turn Flourecent green?

So recently when testing my DKH parameters it has been decreasing from its usual 8.5-9 and slowly getting to around 7.5 before my daily dosing of 60 ml DKH and 60 ml Cal. To raise my Alk I've now started dosing 80 ml DKH and 60ml Cal a day (Calcium stable at around 450). I have also started two weeks ago to dose the weekly Tailored Aquatics Mg for maintance (following the directions on the label). Over the last month and a bit I have added a couple more SPS colonies as well as a few larger SPS frags. The coral growth is good, but just wondering why some of my coral tips are now flouresent green?
Old 01-08-2009, 04:34 AM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

tips being green is a tough one... I've had awesome purple green sps in other persons tank turn brown and green for a long time and after changing lights they started to colour back up. Everyones tank water, lighting, flow a params are different. In mine for instance the parts of sps that get less light have a greenish hue while the rest of the coral is a different colour. And other pieces have a brown colour in the darker areas.

Here's my question tenius usually have blue tips are you saying that it would be green in your tank?

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 01-08-2009, 04:45 AM

reeferious is on a distinguished road
Default fluorescent acro tips

i have noticed this fluorescence especially on the white deepwater acro that i had placed just below lights. b/4 i thought this was acro's response to possible over exposure but now i'm not so sure. anyways i look at this as a bonus hi-lite feature.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:52 AM

Tang Daddy,
Actually my Tenius have blue tips still. When I say the tips on a couple of my sps are now colored flourecent green it is the growth tips I'm talking about. The two corals affected have always had whitish growth tips, but the growth tips are now a bright flourecent green . I've never seen this so thought I'd see if anyone else has seen it or heard of it happening.

Last edited by Trigger Man; 01-08-2009 at 04:56 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeferious View Post
i have noticed this fluorescence especially on the white deepwater acro that i had placed just below lights. b/4 i thought this was acro's response to possible over exposure but now i'm not so sure. anyways i look at this as a bonus hi-lite feature.
I noticed this as well with my deep water acros, ironicly my yellow hi-liter now has those same bright tips as the deepwater acros where the coral is growing. I guess when the coral gets big enough to frag there may be some takers with this unusual coloring tips.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:36 AM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

my deep water was originally all green under 400w but now with t5 body is going purple hue and tips are flourecent green. Did you change your bulbs? Maybe when your Ca and alk levels are in check plus you're dosing Mg it may have made your corals colour up different. I can say that my freind fragged me a nice piece it was brown for a year never grew but with my t5 it has put on half an inch and tips are flourecent green aswell only I never dosed any Mg until a week ago silly me...

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 01-08-2009, 07:05 PM

Tang Daddy,
I have not changed bulbs since May but did add 2 Glo t5's to the display a month ago. I figure it is the addition of Mg that may have caused the change, but the tank is still looking good so I will go with the flourecent green growth tips being of no concern until I see a reason to think differently.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:42 PM

fiorano is on a distinguished road

i have noticed this as well. almost everytime i add a type of sps to my tank it starts turning green at the tips... i dont really understand it