Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-15-2020, 05:51 PM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

Shao, how long has that tank been in that position?
I would think that for a glass pane to crack, something must have shifted. Albeit slowly.
The stand?
Or maybe a slight shift in the floor, then the stand accommodating that.
IMHO
I am only asking cause when you setup the replacement, you should think about why this happened.
I am glad you caught it in time, water on the floor is never good.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:02 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinreefer View Post
Yeah from all that ive read getting insurance for an aquarium is a convoluted process. Havent really looked into it in depth myself.

No repairing it. Would appear to possibly be cracked on bottom pane. Cant see it as the bottom of tank has an acrylic false bottom siliconed on it.

No major casualties so far.

Lucky it didnt just burst, lucky i noticed it when i did, as much of a hassle it was and even with the damage to walls etc, it could have been way more disastrous.

Yes, a contingency plan in place is something i would recommend. I wss not even close to being prepared to handle a major tank issue.

My experience with insurance was like this...I asked which insurance would cover damage from an aquarium and they told me I was covered with the insurance I have. I asked if they needed to know water volume, ect. and they said no. Then once the leak happened and I put in a claim, they said something along the lines of...having plumbing that is meant for other applications in your aquarium is outside the normal scope of owning an aquarium and was a risk that they cannot insure. I asked if I had bought an aquarium with plumbing from the manufacturer (ie. Red Sea systems) if it would be covered and they answered 'probably'.

Well, anyways, I was lucky not to kill everything but I realized after that is was crazy to have so much water in my home with no back up plan if anything were to go wrong.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:35 PM

Dash is on a distinguished road

So you are going to have to replace your beautiful tank? Was it under warranty? Such a bummer, hope things go as smoothly as can be expected under the circumstances.
Old 08-20-2020, 05:34 AM
Gold Member

smokinreefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smokinreefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillegom View Post
Shao, how long has that tank been in that position?
I would think that for a glass pane to crack, something must have shifted. Albeit slowly.
The stand?
Or maybe a slight shift in the floor, then the stand accommodating that.
IMHO
I am only asking cause when you setup the replacement, you should think about why this happened.
I am glad you caught it in time, water on the floor is never good.
Tank has been in place for right about 2 years.
Stand was built purposely for it by a finishing carpenter during house renovations.

Your scenario is a definite possiblity. There are a number of factors in this particular failure scenario.

Yes, very lucky i caught it when i did or it would have been exponetially worse for not only my tank inhabitants but for my house!!!! By apex salinity graph it had started leaking for not quite a day. If i had gone to bed (would've been in a couple hours) without checking i would have woke up to a dry reef and over 300G of salt water on new hardwood. The stand was built into the house permanently so the leak seped down the side of the stand, whixh is basically just a wall. The water then ran down between the floor joists and engineered beams across the room floor/lbsmt ceiling, then running down the side wall.

Better that then sitting on my hardwood lol.

I have been racking my brain in what measures i need to prevent this from happening again and how to have a contingency planbin place should it happen again lol. Knock on wood.
Old 08-20-2020, 05:40 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash View Post
So you are going to have to replace your beautiful tank? Was it under warranty? Such a bummer, hope things go as smoothly as can be expected under the circumstances.
Yes tank will be replaced. Excited for a new reef. But lots of things to happen before that can begin. Bummer i lose out 2 years of what i call "coasting"; when the reef is established, stable, stocked and growing. You can do minimal work and its coming into its best as tbings are starting to fill in and have that grown in look. Oh well, i get a do over!
Old 09-01-2020, 07:20 PM
Gold Member

Pretty much all sps dead. But i was struggling keeping them happy anyways so im not too surprised with that.

Zoas, shrooms, nems and the rest are doing great tho!

But i just lost my gold hammer and my austrialian gold torch!!!
Now that was a bit of a kick in the @$$
Old 09-01-2020, 07:55 PM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about the sps. sometimes they come back from seemingly the dead
Old 09-01-2020, 09:08 PM

Dash is on a distinguished road

Man, sorry to hear about your losses
If you ever need a spot to park your coral for a while, I’m open to helping if that’s ever an option. Not sure how long before you can set up new tank?
Old 09-02-2020, 03:35 AM

crimper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinreefer View Post
Yes tank will be replaced. Excited for a new reef. But lots of things to happen before that can begin. Bummer i lose out 2 years of what i call "coasting"; when the reef is established, stable, stocked and growing. You can do minimal work and its coming into its best as tbings are starting to fill in and have that grown in look. Oh well, i get a do over!
That sucks man. So sorry to hear that.

Is that a custom tank? Maker/Brand?
Old 09-05-2020, 12:41 AM
Gold Member

Hey everyone thanks for the offers, i'm good.
Sad that i lost some favorite pieces but all said in done things are under control.

It was a custom tank and i'm hashing out details on a replacement.
I'm not wanting to throw shade on anyone as there were a couple factors that may have contributed to the failure.

Yes i want my new system up asap, but i'm willing to take my time to ensure there are no future issues. So rehashing the set up is priority one.