Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 01-17-2011, 08:28 AM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road
Default Any plumeria growers in Vancouver? / Plumeria Group Order

I know this ain't reef related but... On my stupidly long list of hobbies and interests there is something called the plumeria (also known as the frangipani). For those that know, they're as additive as coral. For those that don't, well... they're as addictive as corals.

I am looking to import some new plumeria cuttings up from California in the next few weeks and I was wondering if there were any reefers who shared in this passion or who would be interested in giving them a try. To bring them up you need an import permit and a Phytosanitary Certificate. I'm willing to handle the administration of the permits. A Phytosanitary Certificate is $30 for an entire order.

I will be ordering from http://www.plumeriaparadise.com/. There are some Canadian suppliers but none have the selection that these guys have.

If anyone is interested or is just wondering "What the hell is this?" just let me know!

Cheers,

Kevin
Old 01-17-2011, 12:42 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

don't grow but nice. Was walking through a forest path of them a bit back. Nogas Island, bloom just finishing.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:55 PM

don.ald is on a distinguished road

sounds addictive. \p\m sent.
do you have any pics of your current collection?
Old 01-17-2011, 04:27 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I'm not local otherwise I'd be all over this too. I only have one right now, but I love these as much as I love orchids and bromeliads so I can see one day getting more. Good luck!

If you're willing to send some to Calgary after they're all imported, let me know, because then I'd be all in on this. Realize that's a huge PITA for you though so understand perfectly if that doesn't work for you.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:00 PM

So to clarify a few questions:

Will I forward them on to other destinations?
Yes. They don't need overnight shipping like corals do so I can send them by regular or priority post (though you may need to give me a few days turn around time). The cuttings should be dormant at this time anyways so the cold isn't even a real issue (though I might look into the best way to ship into the frozen nether regions ie. Calgary.... -20C? What's wrong with you people?). The cuttings can also go without water for a VERY long time, so speed of shipping isn't real issue. I can post them by a faster method if you're willing to pay for it.

The idea is to share the permit, certificate and shipping cost.
The Phytosanitary certificates are $30 per order, up to an order size of 25 cuttings. Basically this covers the cost of inspecting the cuttings for parasites and infections at the border. Shipping seems to be roughly fixed at $31.67 for 1 to at least 4 cuttings. That's as far as I checked at least but I think we could get several more in there before the shipping changed. I have no idea how much the import certificates are as this is... ugh-hum... the first time I'm doing this the proper way I'll tackle that this week once I get my PhD proposal written. What I will do is take the total certificate, permit and shipping cost and divide it by the total number of cuttings. You will pay that per cutting. Easy.

What is needed to grow them?
Let me direct you over to www.plumeria101.com. This is the go to source of info on plumeria. But to sum up the answer... You can grow them both indoors or out, though I wouldn't be sticking them outside until the night time temperature stops dipping below 10C and daytime highs are around 15C. When rooting the cuttings temperature is more important than light. They really like bottom heat when rooting; you can use a heating pad under the pot during this time if you want to help it along or if your house is cold. They have enough energy to start rooting but once they are showing their first true leave they will want a lot of light. Give them a spot by a sunny window or, do as I do, and supplement with a grow light so that they get roughly a 12 hour photoperiod. As the days become longer make sure you don't over do it and supplement too much or you can burn them. Once whether permits, you can stick them outside in yard. Find the sunniest spot you can and you'll have a happy plumie!

Plumeria only produce branches when they bloom so it goes like this: blooming = branches = more blooms = more branches = .... you get the picture. So instead of using a fertilizer that promotes grow of the trunk and branches, use a super high phosphate fertilizer that promotes blooming. I use 10-50-10 or something similar. I can get mine to bloom nearly year-round.

In the winter they will drop their leaves and go dormant until spring. Stick them in a closet, under your bed, where ever! and wait until next year.

How's that for a solid answer?
Old 01-17-2011, 05:30 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Oh cool, yeah if you're sure you don't mind to reship then I'll probably go in for a couple. I'll go check out the site and we'll be in touch. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don.ald View Post
sounds addictive. \p\m sent.
do you have any pics of your current collection?
No, I don't right now. I gave away most of my plants when I last moved. The only one I have left is in dormancy and looks like a stick right now. The cutting I just brought back from Maui is from this plant:
Old 01-17-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Oh cool, yeah if you're sure you don't mind to reship then I'll probably go in for a couple. I'll go check out the site and we'll be in touch. Thanks!
They seem to be the best in terms of selection of rare breeds, pricing and international shipping so far. Most places that carry the nice plumeria have a $500 minimum order . If you happen to find a better place, let me know!

I also like this place: http://www.mauiplumeriagardens.com. This is where I got my cutting but to my knowledge they're not shipping to Canada. I'll look into this as I really like their prices.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:01 AM

I put a call in to Maui Plumeria Gardens to inquire about shipping to Canada as well as the the gov'ment about how to go about acquiring a permit. They'll both be getting back to me in the next day or two.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:58 AM

Mandosh is on a distinguished road