Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Photography

Old 06-17-2012, 09:23 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostafew View Post
Not exactly answering the original question but I'd like to pose an alternative; Pentax. Stabilization is in the body so you don't re-buy it with every lense, any Pentax lense going back to the dawn of time will work with a modern body, and for the price the feature set is very good. I looked at the T3i, D5100, and K-R and ultimatly chose the Pentax. The K-5 is an excellent camera as well but I was on a pretty tight budget.

Getting back to the original topic, it's been mentioned above but I'd have to agree that the modern cameras are pretty decent and that the photographer will play a much bigger role in the resulting photos then the hardware itself. Feature sets will differ a little so your choice will probably come down to which features you find most valuable (video features, burst speeds, etc.) and trivial as it may sound, how the camera feels in hand. I had to drop the T3i from my list for that reason! Go to the camera shop to touch and feel the candidates, and have a good think about what kind of shooting you want to do. That should help you decide.
in camera stabilization is useless. image stabilization is mostly helpful for longer focal lengths. and the in camera sensor stabilizer just cant move enough to compensate the the shake at telephoto focal lengths.

anything below 100mm on a full frame body shouldn't need IS

and if you ever being a serious photographer, you dont want to be stuck with pentax gear.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:43 PM

scubadawg is on a distinguished road

It doesn't matter what you buy, whatever feels comfortable in your hands, you can't go wrong with any digital SLRs these days

When I was scuba diving in Honduras, I met a National Geographic photographer, he uses Nikon, went on a photoshoot with his friend (uses Canon) in the Desert, Canon was grinding after the assignment, super fine sand/dust was getting into the body and lenses. He told me that Nikon has a far superior sealing system in their cameras and lenses.

Here's a good read

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/nikon-vs-canon.htm

First DSLR for me was a Nikon D70, sold the D70 to a friend, then purchased 2 D200's

Personally I use Nikon, have 15 lenses, primes and the preminum zooms.
Have 2 Nikon D200's, cannot switch because I have 2 underwater camera housings for the D200's
All lenses have a Heliopan SH-PMC UV filters on them.

Purchased a D300, then sold it to a friend when the D700 came out, just picked up my D800 last week, just found out Sea&Sea is making a housing for a D800, so I'm tempted to buy it.
http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com/sea-and-sea-mdx-d800

It would save me a lot of weight travelling, won't have to bring my Sony HDV camcorder and housing.

Wrong timing, they won't before I go scuba diving and the end of July to Galapagos Islands (it's whale shark season), then to Machu Pichau

Probably buy the D800 housing for my next trip, muck diving in Indonesia in Aug 2013

I'm a old school photographer, still own a Leica M4P and a couple of Hasselblads, and 2 Nikon F100's and F70. Haven't shoot film in years.

Last edited by scubadawg; 06-17-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:23 AM

TheDoctor is on a distinguished road

Old thread but just picked up the D3X a little bulky but really liking it. Anyone shoot with this camera?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-09-2013, 09:14 AM

byee is on a distinguished road
Default Canon has a FASTER focus mechanism

I did a primitive test about a year ago - Canon 40D with 70-200mm f2.8 IS against my buddies $30,000 setup. In low contrast tests, Canon beats Nikon.

Everything else is similar.

I shoot with a Canon 40D and 5Dmk2 with all pro series lenses - f2.8's.

I've been shooting Canon since 1986.............I prefer Canon. Nikon does make an wife proof point and shoot which works really well. As long as you can aim it, it will take the picture.

I hope this helps!
Old 09-23-2013, 01:33 PM

Canons are pretty good. I mean if Avril Levigne uses it, it's gotta be good right? :s

Old 09-23-2013, 02:45 PM

Ross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
Canons are pretty good. I mean if Avril Levigne uses it, it's gotta be good right? :s
and Ashton Kutcher doing Nikon commercials are different why?
67 Gallon Mixed Reef, Modular LED Lights

Send in the Clowns - Clown Fish Breeding
5 Gallon Fry Hatchery and 15 Gallon Clown Grow Out Tank
Old 09-23-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Haha touche

Old 09-24-2013, 01:54 AM

byee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
He wanted to something similar as Avril....Canon was already taken so the only logical choice was Nikon. ;-)