Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Photography

Old 06-10-2010, 03:54 PM

damtrees420 is on a distinguished road

if your going to buy the olympus stylus do not go to deep when snorkling in hawaii my camra and two others got water in them my still works but the other two never worked again
Old 06-10-2010, 03:55 PM

parkinsn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Olympus vs Canon was a hard choice for me too. Love the Olympus cameras, have an older one and a newer one - the wife keeps the newer one 'cuz it's tiny and I still use the older one for the occasional tank photo (top downs in particular since it fits under the lights when pointing down which I could never do with an SLR). So I really wanted an Olympus but when I went looking I found the Canon D10 and what really sold me on it was the depth to 33feet/10meters where as most others in the price point are 10feet. 10feet is good for snorkeling but I wouldn't take it diving. I did take the D10 on a dive and I was the only one in the group able to take away pictures from the dives - for some reason the others either didn't have cameras or the cameras didn't work down at depth, despite being in casings that were rated to deeper water.

Hard to go wrong with Olympus or Canon either way though.
If im not mistaken the Canon not only goes deeper (33ft for the price) it is also freeze resistant to -15 and drop resistant from 10ft. These 3 features are what sold me on the cannon. Also the canon lense/retractable part (sorry not camera lingo savy) does not need to be lubed as it gets older where as the olimpus does. I will throw up some pic's that I took snorkeling in venezuela when I get home.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:11 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Can I play too?? Here are some from Kauai (taken with the D10 around 35 feet or so):

This is a bit grainy because it was taken at full zoom so I could stay far away enough to not spook him and I was fighting a bit of current to stay put long enough to get the photo:

Anyhow. Love the D10 and despite it being an "underwater" camera I actually use it as my daily driver these days, unless I'm trying to work the SLR, but I'm basically unhappy with anything I produce using the SLR these days. The D10 takes way better photos of just about everything.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:56 PM

4lti7ude is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWorldAquatic View Post
I use the Pentax w80

http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital..._Cardinal_Red/

Been all over the world with me already, recommended for up to 5m, I've had it deeper

Ken
Oh man, DO want.
How much did you get this camera for?

4lti7ude's 20Gallon Nano Tank
Old 06-10-2010, 07:18 PM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

I had two Olympus cameras, one i lost when my canoe turned over, the other leaked in the 3 feet of water on Maui vacation.
If you go with Olympus make sure you tape the battery compartment with thick sticky tape and you will be fine !
Old 06-10-2010, 07:20 PM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q209waterproofgroup/

Bottom line is that the Canon is the biggest and bulkiest but takes the best pictures. The problem with the Olympus cameras is both power and shutter lag.

This review doesn't include the brand new Sony TX5 which looks sweet.

All of these "waterproof" cameras have had reported leakage issues. You have to treat them quite gingerly as their seals seem to be quite delicate. You gotta rinse them in thorougly FW and completely air dry each time you dunk them because SW will destroy the seals in no time.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:27 PM

burgerchow is on a distinguished road
Default waterproof cameras

sony w series with the underwater housing. completely waterproof

120 , lps. 2xKessil A350W Tuna Blues, 2xvortech mp40 for flow,aqualogic 1/4 hp chiller, 160 lbs live rock. sohal, , pair of percs,flame dotty back , royal gramma, pair of black percs, niger trigger, mandarin

55 corner bowfront freshwater, African cichlids kessil a350

30 gal 36x36 coffee table fish tank. 3 red ear sliders.

5.5 gal nano, live rock, arrow crab, baby perc, firefish.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:10 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

I'm looking for something as well as I have a big trip coming up next September. I'll be diving as well as snorkelling, so I need something rated for more depth. I'll probably end up with a housing on something.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 06-11-2010, 02:42 AM

outacontrol is on a distinguished road

has anyone ever tried this fuji one: http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/ca...affixedcode=WW
for the price it sure seems like a good deal
Old 06-11-2010, 03:20 AM
Vendor

BlueWorldAquatic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4lti7ude View Post
Oh man, DO want.
How much did you get this camera for?
Was only like $350 or so.

Ken

Store Location

Twitter