Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Q&A

Old 12-09-2016, 11:21 PM

katguevara is on a distinguished road
Default Wanting to set up a 90 Gallon

Hi!,

I currently have a 90 gallon tank that isn't drilled for a sump. I'm wondering if I'm able to use this to set up as a saltwater tank? If so, can you guys give me some suggestions on equipment for a good set up. I'm new to this so please bare with me! I can go to big Al's and ask, but I'm afraid that they are going to give me things that I don't need. All suggestions are welcome! Thanks!
Old 12-10-2016, 02:55 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by katguevara View Post
Hi!,

I currently have a 90 gallon tank that isn't drilled for a sump. I'm wondering if I'm able to use this to set up as a saltwater tank? If so, can you guys give me some suggestions on equipment for a good set up. I'm new to this so please bare with me! I can go to big Al's and ask, but I'm afraid that they are going to give me things that I don't need. All suggestions are welcome! Thanks!
You need to decide if you have a need for a sump. There are many benefits to having a sump, however lots of people run a successful reef tank without. I'm sure someone will chime in on here. You can check out the newbie forums on here for a good general understanding.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:02 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Don't bother with the 'new to the hobby' forum here, it's out of date and not really a good resource. I would recommend you go on Bulk Reef Supply's YouTube page and watch their series '52 weeks of reefing'. It is, hands down, one of the greatest instructional resource video series in our hobby. Make popcorn.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:07 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
Don't bother with the 'new to the hobby' forum here, it's out of date and not really a good resource. I would recommend you go on Bulk Reef Supply's YouTube page and watch their series '52 weeks of reefing'. It is, hands down, one of the greatest instructional resource video series in our hobby. Make popcorn.
I watched all that series and it was a great resource!
Old 12-10-2016, 04:36 AM

katguevara is on a distinguished road

Okay thanks! I'll check it out.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:02 PM

patpare is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
👍 Excellent series
Old 12-16-2016, 04:41 AM

blacknife is on a distinguished road

It is possible to do without a sump, but then after a while you end up with all kinds of hang on back equipment. Fortunately there are a few options to use an existing tank. DIY pvc overflows, drilling, or getting the glass drilled and installing a pre-made or home built overflow box.

A sump does not have to be complicated either, In the past i have used just a bare tank with no baffles, it is just somewhere to hide all the equipment so your display can look nicer. there to it is not hard to get a few pieces of glass cut and silicone them in yourself if you feel the need to have some partitions.

Deciding factor might be what you want out of the tank in the long run fish only? corals? what kind of corals? how much time do you have for maintenance? not sure yet? sure get started in this tank the way it is, but be prepared to upgrade when you know what you like.