Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-14-2018, 02:25 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

Plus, plenty of tank manufacturers construct tanks with no bubbles in the silicone and they are perfectly strong.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:20 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

I understand Dave's reply in regards to seam strength. Alternatively, you could go with black silicone which should help make the bubbles less visible (if any)... or perhaps Concept should be looking for a different silicone than GE SCS1200. Every Concept tank I have seen with clear silicone has bubbles, and its always bugged the hell out of me.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:48 PM

mtlreeffreak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
I understand Dave's reply in regards to seam strength. Alternatively, you could go with black silicone which should help make the bubbles less visible (if any)... or perhaps Concept should be looking for a different silicone than GE SCS1200. Every Concept tank I have seen with clear silicone has bubbles, and its always bugged the hell out of me.

im going black silicone ..
Old 11-14-2018, 10:21 PM

dave_C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
Oh Warren we have tried

have tired the Momentive RTV108 series(more expensive and really never saw any difference between the two)

Aqueon silicone no where as strong as the scs1200 from GE

Looked into a new UV instant cure silicone but they are not available in north america yet and let's not even talking about cost lol

What we have found from over the years is that over the winter months there is less bubbles the occur in the silicone making us come to a conclusion temper and humidity play a role in the forming of bubbles.

So yes there is away around the bubbles issues but there would also come with cost associated with it, having to build a large room to house 10 96x48 and 2 120x60 build tables and have a way to lower temp and increase humidity would not be cheap. I guess all I am saying is if we are at around the same price as red sea tanks or the elos tanks could we compete with them.

Having a perfect tank cost money and I am not sure if it is worth us trying to archive that compared too what we are offering now and yes black silicone hides a lot of the imperfection with the manufacturing of the tanks.

One last thing, if you seen any of our tanks you will realized that most of the bubbles happen on the bottom seam and the reasoning is the bottom glass is cut smaller then the sides allowing us to square the tank better but also happens to have a thicker silicone seam. More silicone equals more chances of bubbles forming on that seam

Hope that helps

Thanks Dave
Old 11-15-2018, 12:03 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Black silicone definitely helps with the bubbles. I am really happy with the way my seams look with the black silicone as it really cleans the look along with the polished edges.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:09 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the explanation Dave, and sorry to Reeffreak for hijacking the thread. Lol.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:28 AM

Razor Ramon is on a distinguished road

In reality it’s about visual imperfection in the silicone ,now tank strength matters the most.
Yes we all pay money for a product but at the end of the day when the tank is filled with fish and corals the only one that will know about a bubble is you the owner anyone else will be looking at what’s going on inside that tank .