Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 01-03-2017, 04:41 PM
Vendor

Reef Supplies is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Pat, where did you get your salt? Amazon or a Canadian retailer? What is the batch number and date of manufacture of your salt? You'll find this info on the "Quality Certificate" in the pail.
+1

http://www.reefsupplies.ca
Old 01-22-2017, 03:55 AM

smitas5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
FWIW, I haven't cracked a pail from the salt that came from the Canadian Distributor, I just finished my last pail from Amazon, so these would be different batches. I have a pail of Probiotic for my own tank from the Canadian Distributor that I'll be using as soon as I do a waterchange. I am also doing a new tank install on Friday and I'll be using a pail of Reef Salt also from the Canadian Distributor for that. I'll let you know how that goes!

Pat, where did you get your salt? Amazon or a Canadian retailer? What is the batch number and date of manufacture of your salt? You'll find this info on the "Quality Certificate" in the pail.
So wait,
Since when is it important where the salt id from and what batch it is? Shouldn't it be consistent? or very close to it?
I'm also thinking of switching, but feedback is very different. How do you know?
Old 01-22-2017, 05:05 PM

shiftline is on a distinguished road

I'm curious to follow along as I was thinking of swapping from reef crystals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2017, 05:08 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitas5 View Post
So wait,
Since when is it important where the salt id from and what batch it is? Shouldn't it be consistent? or very close to it?
I'm also thinking of switching, but feedback is very different. How do you know?
Salt mixes are always made in batches, and if there is a problem, it is usually limited to a batch. I was just pointing out the fact that I'm probably not using the same batch that Pat is.

Some people are having issues with Aquaforest, and from what I've seen these issues all have (at least) one or two things in common: the tanks are not being dosed "big three" regularly, and they are coming off a high alkalinity salt mix. These two commonalities are significant because if someone is using a high alkalinity salt mix, and NOT dosing the tank, they are relying on water changes using the high alkalinity salt mix to maintain alkalinity. If these people switch to a salt mix that has 3-4 dKH lower alkalinity, and they continue to NOT dose their tank, the alkalinity will fall in the tank. Low alkalinity + LPS = bad (in general).

Aquaforest is NOT a good brand of salt mix to use if you are not dosing your tank IMO. AF is not designed to "bump alkalinity up" during water changes. IMO, a person should pick a salt mix that is compatible with the husbandry techniques s/he is employing. I would not use AF salt mixes on a tank that is not getting daily doses of alkalinity (either manually or via doser), UNLESS you add alkalinity to the newly mixed saltwater to increase alkalinity to 10-11 dKH as in mixes like Instant Ocean and H2Ocean. Aquaforest salt mixes are good for people who DO dose their tanks, and want to keep natural seawater parameters.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftline View Post
I'm curious to follow along as I was thinking of swapping from reef crystals.
Do you use a doser? Do you rely on water changes to maintain alkalinity?

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:25 PM

I do dose and thats why the salt did draw my attention. Anybody using AF long enough to see how different batches differ? is it neglectable?
Old 01-22-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Salt mixes are always made in batches, and if there is a problem, it is usually limited to a batch. I was just pointing out the fact that I'm probably not using the same batch that Pat is.

Some people are having issues with Aquaforest, and from what I've seen these issues all have (at least) one or two things in common: the tanks are not being dosed "big three" regularly, and they are coming off a high alkalinity salt mix. These two commonalities are significant because if someone is using a high alkalinity salt mix, and NOT dosing the tank, they are relying on water changes using the high alkalinity salt mix to maintain alkalinity. If these people switch to a salt mix that has 3-4 dKH lower alkalinity, and they continue to NOT dose their tank, the alkalinity will fall in the tank. Low alkalinity + LPS = bad (in general).

Aquaforest is NOT a good brand of salt mix to use if you are not dosing your tank IMO. AF is not designed to "bump alkalinity up" during water changes. IMO, a person should pick a salt mix that is compatible with the husbandry techniques s/he is employing. I would not use AF salt mixes on a tank that is not getting daily doses of alkalinity (either manually or via doser), UNLESS you add alkalinity to the newly mixed saltwater to increase alkalinity to 10-11 dKH as in mixes like Instant Ocean and H2Ocean. Aquaforest salt mixes are good for people who DO dose their tanks, and want to keep natural seawater parameters.
I understand the potential of not testing your water in the tank or in freshly mixed bucket, but maybe not testing the freshly mixed water was my issue afterall?
Old 01-22-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I do dose and thats why the salt did draw my attention. Anybody using AF long enough to see how different batches differ? is it neglectable?
They vary a bit, about as much as any other salt mix. Maybe 0.5 dKH alkalinity and 20 ppm calcium. I've used 4 buckets of Probiotic and 2 buckets of Sea Salt and I think 3 buckets of Reef Salt.

Quote:
I understand the potential of not testing your water in the tank or in freshly mixed bucket, but maybe not testing the freshly mixed water was my issue afterall?
What is your issue?

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:50 PM

patpare is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the delay in replying
I'm having my pc fixed
Using my phone is to much of a pain for me
I will reply on the week end with full info and befor and after pictures
Old 01-23-2017, 10:14 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

I am using the probiotic salt right now, not sure where it says and also a friend confirmed that if using probiotic you should be doing smaller waterchanges like 10%. Anyhow I still have lots of IO so for bigger WC I use that.
The difference I've heard with the probiotic compared to the reef is that it is abit cloudy when mixing but goes away generally after a couple hrs.
I have only done 5% wc every 3 days to remove detritous with the probiotic salt.
Once I am done I am switching to the reef salt because I don't really notice any difference with PB vs IO.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips