Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-11-2016, 02:07 AM

brisco is on a distinguished road
Default Foz Down

Okay...I have heard a little about it, but how does it work? I currently run a small reactor with RowaPhos but always like to explore other options. I know that with my current set up the RowaPhos traps the phosphate, eventually gets saturated and needs changing. Where does the phosphate go with PhosDown?

Last edited by kien; 03-11-2016 at 07:55 PM. Reason: changed "Phos" to "Foz"
Old 03-11-2016, 03:03 AM

TimT is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Thanks for your interest in Foz Down. The way I use Foz Down in my acro grow out system is to drip it into the overflow and let it settle out in the sump. What settles out is so fine that it is not visible to the human eye among other detritus etc.

For stubborn algae problems it can be added directly to the tank.

Now that I use Foz Down I don't need Rowaphos or GFO. :-)

Cheers,
Tim
Old 03-11-2016, 04:02 AM

brisco is on a distinguished road

sorry Foz Down

so Foz Down binds with the phosphate in the water and precipitates out? I assume you can then remove it via vaccum.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:29 AM

No worries :-)

Yes, it binds with the Phosphate.

You can vacuum it out or use a pump to suck it out.

The particles are so fine that I don't worry about them as they are not visible.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:59 AM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

I believe Fozdown is Lanthanum chloride. You may want to do a search on Lanthanum chloride in reef tanks. There are some risks associated with the use of this chemical as the precipitate lanthanum phosphate could be toxic to some fish and corals if not managed carefully.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:16 AM

George is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger View Post
I believe Fozdown is Lanthanum chloride. You may want to do a search on Lanthanum chloride in reef tanks. There are some risks associated with the use of this chemical as the precipitate lanthanum phosphate could be toxic to some fish and corals if not managed carefully.
Wrong info. Precipitation from Lanthanum chloride is not toxic. What happens is that the precipitation is so small, less than 5 microns, that it can cause irritation on the gills of some fish.
With the precipitation being so small, it's likely that it will be blown around in the tank instead of settling down so vacuuming is probably useless. Many people do 1. use a 5 micron filter sock to hopefully filter some of the precipitation. 2. Do a water change after a dosing because Lanthanum chloride reacts with phosphate instantly so you don't need to wait. 3. don't care and don't do anything since it's so small you can't see it anyway.
If you do decide to use Lanthanum chloride, go slow. This stuff works on lowering phosphate and works quickly. Sometime too quick

Last edited by George; 03-11-2016 at 06:21 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
Wrong info. Precipitation from Lanthanum chloride is not toxic. What happens is that the precipitation is so small, less than 5 microns, that it can cause irritation on the gills of some fish.
Thanks George. The flocs from Foz Down are not toxic at all.

There is many different grades of the active ingredient and companies make different concentrations. I use a high grade and have the concentration that it is very unlikely to be overdosed. It is strong enough to last an average reef tank of 90 gallons, 6 months to a year depending on fish/food load.

There is dosing instructions on my website at:
http://www.oceanfreshaquarium.com/foz-down.html

This product can remove Phosphate very quickly so you need to not overdo it and give the corals time to adapt to the lower Phosphate levels in your tank.

I personally use the "don't care and don't do anything option" as I view the flocs as completely inert. I clean the detritus out and do regular water changes but that's it as far as flocs go.

For those choosing to try to remove them I have 5 micron 4" filter socks available.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:59 PM
LOVES STAR WARS... mostly Ewoks and Porgs.

hunggi74 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
Thanks George. The flocs from Foz Down are not toxic at all.

There is many different grades of the active ingredient and companies make different concentrations. I use a high grade and have the concentration that it is very unlikely to be overdosed. It is strong enough to last an average reef tank of 90 gallons, 6 months to a year depending on fish/food load.

There is dosing instructions on my website at:
http://www.oceanfreshaquarium.com/foz-down.html

This product can remove Phosphate very quickly so you need to not overdo it and give the corals time to adapt to the lower Phosphate levels in your tank.

I personally use the "don't care and don't do anything option" as I view the flocs as completely inert. I clean the detritus out and do regular water changes but that's it as far as flocs go.

For those choosing to try to remove them I have 5 micron 4" filter socks available.
Tim, I didn't see the filter socks on your site. I'm using Foz and I love it. Maybe PM me the price? For the filter socks. Thanks
Old 03-11-2016, 05:00 PM

Ryanerickson is on a distinguished road

Site says 8.99 I'm pretty sure hung
Old 03-11-2016, 07:25 PM
LOVES STAR WARS... mostly Ewoks and Porgs.

hunggi74 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanerickson View Post
Site says 8.99 I'm pretty sure hung
You're right Ryan. Very bottom of Foz Down page if anyone else is blind like me LOL

To OP. I've always had high PO4 and low to zero NO3. I got a bottle and I dose 5 drops every other day directly into my tank in front of the overflow. PO4 went down slowly and just yesterday tested it on Hanna ULR and it read 0. Stuff works good.