Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-09-2011, 05:51 PM

amy is on a distinguished road

Oh, thats very sad! And frustrating too, I wonder if the mysis company would be willing to test the food and see?
I am sorry for your loss
Old 06-09-2011, 07:47 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Wow that's terrible, sorry to hear it man.

How are the tank temps?
Old 06-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

BC29 is at 80.2
Shallow 30 is at 78.5

Read with two different thermometers for accuracy.

Just bewildered at this point

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 06-09-2011, 09:13 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

It really sounds like the food. Man, that really sucks. Are you gonna "test" the food some how?

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 06-09-2011, 09:35 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Terrible news!
You may be on the right track with the bad Mysis assumption. I've read about several cases of Vibrio poisoning from Mysis. Apparently, the vibrio is in the frozen Mysis water and it is very important to thaw and rinse well before feeding. Mrfish55 thinks he had the same thing happen.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

The Mysis is the only thing that I can think of. Thats the only thing that was introduced into the two tanks the night before. Brand new package, no previous signs of disease or stress from fish, water perams are perfect, and killed all fish and nothing else.

How would I go about testing? Not that I really need too, because the worst has already happened, but it would be nice to find out.

I will from now on thaw and wash all mysis before feeding thats for sure. I used to just let it get mooshy then drop it in.

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 06-10-2011, 01:51 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

sorry for your loss but all these fish in such small tanks????!! My guess is they died from lack of oxygen from the temperature rising.

That's a lot of fish in such a tiny tanks.

Contaminated mysis? I think not all the fish would have died...unless it is poison and if it is poison then other things would have died as well. Surely the invertabrate ate some too, and they would be dead too.

BTW, was that PE Mysis? because those are freshwater and are unlikely to carry any saltwater disease or bacteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy! View Post

So I had a massive fish die-off in two of my tanks yesterday. Its the weirdest thing...

I have 3 small tanks right now, and I came home to find all fish dead in 2 of the tanks. All my corals and inverts are doing awesome still. Water perameters are perfect. The only thing that I can think of is that I got a bad batch of Mysis. I know its a long shot, but its the only thing that the two tanks have in common. My third tank that I feed pellets only too was totally fine and normal. I opened the package on Tuesday night, fed the BC29, and the shallow tank that night with Mysis, the BC14 with NLS pellets. Wednesday afternoon, I came home to all fish dead. Not a single one left in the two Mysis tanks...

I lost the following fish, but nothing else! Inverts are fine, corals are looking great...

1 X Maroon Gold Stripe CLown
1 X Flame Angel
1 X Kole Tang
1 X True Perc clown
1 X Tailspot Blenny
1 X Black back Butterfly
1 X Bi-color Dottyback
2 X Black Yellowline Damsels

A sad, sad day for FishyFishy... and an expensive one.

Last edited by daniella3d; 06-10-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:01 AM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

Hey Mike. I'm also really sorry to hear this. I know you must be bummed.

I'm not convinced it's the food. If it were the food, you might expect one or two fish too tough it out. You might also expect them to show signs of distress over a couple of days. That's not to say that it couldn't be a toxin in the food that kills rapidly, but if that is the case I think we can expect to hear of other occurrences in the coming days.

The oxygen theory is plausible. It's worth exploring, but also seems unlikely to hit both tanks simultaneously. Stranger things have happened.

I'm not sure that I can help with the answer, but there must be one. I know it's cruel, but I would be tempted to buy a 'canary' fish and see if the tank water is the culprit. If he was fine in the tank, I'd feed the mysis. I would document everything and if that killed him I would threaten the manufacturer with a massive publicity campaign. With proof in hand, they might settle.

At the very least, I wouldn't throw out the food just yet. Nor would I really suggest using it ever again.

- Brad
Old 06-10-2011, 03:17 AM

Oxymoron is on a distinguished road

Oh No! So sorry to hear this Fishy.
Best of wishes on a speedy recovery.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:37 AM

ALang is on a distinguished road

So sorry to hear that Fishy. Hard to say what happened, except for your hunch.
Scary because we feed Mysis, too. When your other tank is not effected, that's pretty suspicious. I know that you would have racked your brain thinking of the common link to what has happened.