Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 12-07-2014, 10:56 PM

carnut is on a distinguished road
Default cutting tank

Has anyone ever tried cutting a tank in half. I have one I like the length and width but not the height. Would like to cut it in half to get the height I want.

Thanks

tank 2 300 gallon mixed reef. 3 evergrow It5080, skimmer bubble king
Old 12-08-2014, 01:38 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

I cut the side of my tank off for an external overflow. I'd say it's certainly not for the faint of heart, that's for sure.
You're probably far, far better off just purchasing the size tank you want.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:08 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Thickness of the glass will determine whether it's feasible or not I reckon. Also need to confirm that the sides you wish to cut are not tempered. I've been contemplating giving this a go as well. I wouldn't risk it with a larger display tank, but my current 77 gal Hagen display will probably become a sump or 'fuge when I finally upgrade to a larger set up. Something shorter than 24" is what I'd prefer & the 77 gallon will be a good candidate since I know it's not tempered & it's getting a few scratches on it after many years duty as a display. I have a small wet tile saw & think that if I take it slow & have a few spare blades on hand, should be able to pull it off. Will be awkward & heavy, but worth a try. If it breaks no biggy. If it works, I have a great sump. The new display will probably be a custom build though.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:00 PM

Masonjames is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Thickness of the glass will determine whether it's feasible or not I reckon. Also need to confirm that the sides you wish to cut are not tempered. I've been contemplating giving this a go as well. I wouldn't risk it with a larger display tank, but my current 77 gal Hagen display will probably become a sump or 'fuge when I finally upgrade to a larger set up. Something shorter than 24" is what I'd prefer & the 77 gallon will be a good candidate since I know it's not tempered & it's getting a few scratches on it after many years duty as a display. I have a small wet tile saw & think that if I take it slow & have a few spare blades on hand, should be able to pull it off. Will be awkward & heavy, but worth a try. If it breaks no biggy. If it works, I have a great sump. The new display will probably be a custom build though.
Score it first if your going to attempt to cut it in this manner. Risky venture! Good luck : )
Old 12-08-2014, 11:16 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Really sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. JMO. Good luck.

Anthony
Old 12-09-2014, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonjames View Post
Score it first if your going to attempt to cut it in this manner. Risky venture! Good luck : )
The way things are going at the moment, it will be quite a while until I'm ready for the planned upgrade, so won't be any cutting in the near future. I like to keep tabs on threads like this to see what folks' experiences with cutting tanks/glass are. The old 77 will have to do as a display until I finish all the renos on my even older house.....

I assume scoring the glass will minimize the chance of the thing shattering as I push it along into the blade? What do I score it with, a glass cutter? I've never been any good at that!
Old 12-09-2014, 03:06 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

When professional glass cutters do it, they score and snap a flat piece of glass. They would probably never even attempt to cut an aquarium that is still intact.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:29 AM

Well, I'm not a professional (glass cutter that is) & am not dealing with a flat piece of glass. Neither is the OP. Maybe in a year or so, I'll give it a go & report back. In the meantime it would be great if someone that's actually tried this would chime in.

Last edited by mike31154; 12-09-2014 at 03:32 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Well, I'm not a professional (glass cutter that is) & am not dealing with a flat piece of glass. Neither is the OP. Maybe in a year or so, I'll give it a go & report back. In the meantime it would be great if someone that's actually tried this would chime in.

I have cut down three tanks for use in sump, ato and frag tank. I did however use a simple glass cutter, snap into tank pane by pane after cutting silicone out to cut height.

Cutting with a wet saw will most certainly cut glass. However by hand on a four foot long pane you will probably get 75-90% of the way through then it will most likely break. Why I suggested scoring it prior. An initial score may keep a break controlled. It may not. But for a sump to reuse a tank you already have, sure give it a shot if you want. I can't promise you won't break it, and a good chance you will but it's your tank, have fun with it if you want. Even a grinder with a dry diamond blade can cut a tank in half. Just play safe. I'm sure I don't need to tell you glass is sharp.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:13 AM

Just don't try it on a tank you don't want to loose. OP!