Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 03-28-2014, 12:31 AM
Vendor

Kraken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by toytech View Post
Not to sound rude ,but if you had just been patient and gone fishless for the recommended amount of time your new fish wouldent be sick now . Ich has different stages ,the spots disappear and return at different stages of its life your fish might not be out of the woods yet.
^ is correct. Garlic only acts as an appetite stimulator...It has no effect on the ich itself. Normally speaking, a fish that is healthy can fight off ich on its own which is why I say its normal to have a few spots of ich on fish once in awhile. Its when they overtake the fish (while the fish is stressed) that you should remove the infected or quarantine.

If your Pj's survive, then that just means your fish was able to fight off the ich through its own immune system.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:41 AM

jay2x is on a distinguished road

Understood just giving an update. Hehehe ty

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2014, 03:52 AM

reef-keeper is on a distinguished road

Would a fresh water dip work ?
Old 03-29-2014, 03:59 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
^ is correct. Garlic only acts as an appetite stimulator...It has no effect on the ich
I totally disagree. That's all I have ever used for ich and it has worked great every time. In my tank as well as others. My fish get garlic every meal
Old 03-29-2014, 02:14 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
I totally disagree. That's all I have ever used for ich and it has worked great every time. In my tank as well as others. My fish get garlic every meal
Just curious, what garlic do you use and how exactly do you prepare the food before feeding? I have tried soaking food in various garlic liquid products in the past, and my "finicky" eaters wouldn't touch it. Same goes with Selcon. They eat the food normally, but not when I soak it with something else. I know,... sounds strange,... especially when I keep reading how much fish are supposed to love garlic.

As for ich, I QT all my fish, and that is the only sure way that has ever worked for me. In the past I have had ich in my DT, and as others have stated, the healthy fish can usually fight it off.

But one time I put a fish through QT with just observing it for a while (no hypo or copper). Then after a few weeks in my DT I had a serious ich outbreak, and lost a couple of my healthy longer term residents. So it seems this fish was a carrier of a more virulent form of ich. Ironically, the new fish never did show any symptoms and was just fine the whole time. Maybe he had already gone through the immune phase with that strain of ich...
Old 03-29-2014, 03:07 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
Just curious, what garlic do you use and how exactly do you prepare the food before feeding? I have tried soaking food in various garlic liquid products in the past, and my "finicky" eaters wouldn't touch it. Same goes with Selcon. They eat the food normally, but not when I soak it with something else. I know,... sounds strange,... especially when I keep reading how much fish are supposed to love garlic.
I used to use Kent Garlic Extreme and my last batch of food I made I used SeaChem Garlic Guard. I only feed homemade frozen food and it's added with the recipe. I've also just put a couple of drops on the food as it's thawing out in the past.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:17 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
I used to use Kent Garlic Extreme and my last batch of food I made I used SeaChem Garlic Guard. I only feed homemade frozen food and it's added with the recipe. I've also just put a couple of drops on the food as it's thawing out in the past.
I tried the Kent Garlic Extreme, and it didn't work for me. But sounds like your fish get it all the time, and are trained on it. Some of my fish (the butterflys) are so finicky, that they only eat one type of pellet food or mysis. When I changed brands, they wouldn't eat it. And ironically, the pellet food that they do eat does contain added garlic.

I think some fish get very used to certain foods,... and don't like to change... That's why I try to feed a variety of different foods right from the beginning.