Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 03-16-2014, 03:11 PM

jtbadco is on a distinguished road

Looks more like Brooklynela or Velvet to me from the pics. If it's Brook then you will see pieces of skin start to fall off and the Copper will not help. Formalin would work but it may be too late by the looks of the fish.
If its velvet then the Copper should do the trick, but you will need to remove and treat all of the livestock and leave the DT empty of fish for the treatment period.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:36 PM

jay2x is on a distinguished road

Yup both clowns passed away... probably not going to get livestock for a bit. Now how can I tell if DT is free from ich? Or how can I clear the ich problem. The corals survived. And inverts.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2014, 04:42 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

If the tank is fishless now is the ideal time to let it stay hat way to make sure the ich is gone and look into doing a quarantine tank for new arriving fish it's also a good time to start focusing on doing corals and inverts more while the fallow period Is happening
Old 03-16-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
If the tank is fishless now is the ideal time to let it stay hat way to make sure the ich is gone and look into doing a quarantine tank for new arriving fish it's also a good time to start focusing on doing corals and inverts more while the fallow period Is happening
Is there a test to check if the ich is gone?

Old 03-16-2014, 04:46 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

No there is no test that I know of any ways
Old 03-16-2014, 05:11 PM
Vendor

Kraken is on a distinguished road

If you plan on adding anything else in the tank other than fish, you will always have ich in the aquarium.

- About the hyposalinity, I couldnt find the research paper that cites it however I believe you are correct in that it was only a certain strain that they tested.

Last edited by Kraken; 03-16-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:32 PM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

If your fish truly had icy, your tank should not have any fish introduced to it for 8 weeks at least.
Read this:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/...ths-facts.html
Old 03-19-2014, 05:44 AM
Proofed by Wheelman

Cujo#31 is on a distinguished road

Looks like ich to me....not the expert by any means though.What has worked like a million bux for me, was hyposalinity. All natural. No chemicals, less risk, fewer long term effects. Anything I have read up on this all leads to "there is no quick fix" Not to mention your display will HAVE to run fallow (no host) for a minimum of 4 weeks anyhow, 6 on safe side unless u wanna kill everything in ur tank with copper and just run fish only forever... Follow directions TO THE LETTER and seeing as the little guy has been hit fairly hard, drop salinity very slowly. Lower saline actually reduces stress on fish (to a certain point at about 1.08)
My tw bits for what its worth....
Old 03-27-2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
If your clownfish is looking that bad, most treatments will not be effective.

Pumping garlic will do nothing as it has no effect on ich . The only use for garlic is an appetite stimulant.

In my experience, the only effective treatment for ich that you can easily get your hands on is copper.

I bring in tons of clowns and have battled ich almost every shipment (mainly from tangs) and if the body is covered as bad as your clownfish, I rarely can save it.

All aquariums have ich, and its normal to get a few cysts on your fish once in awhile. If a fish is healthy and eating well, then it's own immune response will typically fight it off.

The main cause of ich overunning your tank is if a fish is stressed out and it takes over that fish. When a huge population of ich has formed on a single fish, its basically a breeding ground for it and thats how it "spreads and kills" all your other fish. Its the sudden increase in the ich population in your tank that will wipe out all the fish.

What I suggest you do is take the clown out and quarantine it with copper. If you do not have a quarantine, then I would put it out of it's misery before the cysts spread to your other fish.

I shouldve started this garlic before doing crap like cupramine and doing a qt. Xtreme garlic worked well.

after the death of my clowns, I was so devasted that I bought a set of livestock. Lol! This time I both pajama cardinal fish. I have two in my system. And it happened again white spot came and started filling up the their bodies. I was wanted to try the cheapest way is garlic xtreme. It worked well. A few days I thought it was going to be another lost. But by day 4 spots dissipated.

Before

After

they are now eating healthy.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:03 AM

toytech is on a distinguished road

Not to sound rude ,but if you had just been patient and gone fishless for the recommended amount of time your new fish wouldent be sick now . Ich has different stages ,the spots disappear and return at different stages of its life your fish might not be out of the woods yet.