Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 11-05-2008, 05:48 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Home Theater

Any one here into Home Theater?

I just picked up one of these signs for $30.00 I was wondering if anyone has one.. Are they any good? I guess it doesn't really matter at $30.00 as long as it doens't burn my house down.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:09 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I wish. I'm far too dumb with my money and fish tanks to have anything left over. What exactly is it? I have my home "theatre" setup to run off a PC which does my recording for me and that's about the extent of it, but one day I'd like to make it nice. What do these signs do, are they just something to look cool or something?
Old 11-05-2008, 06:24 PM

Just something cool to look at. Rotel is the brand name of my amps. I also want to pick up DTS & Dolby Digital signs, but I wanted to try one out first to see how they looked and worked.

I use my computer a fair amount for TV watching. I stream downloaded TV shows from the computer through my Xbox. We never watch shows when they are actually on.. I love having no comercials!

Here is what it looks like unlit. I won't hang it from the chain though.

Last edited by Parker; 11-05-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:39 PM

slakker is on a distinguished road

I have DIY Home theatre... 92 inch Grey Wolf screen with Optoma projector. It's a few years old, so it's only EdTV (waiting for the price of the 1080 projectors to come down). The room is only 20 feet long, so running a 5.1 surround an dit's not tuned for THX or anything like that. It's also the room where my DT is so the lights from the DT is annoying!
Old 11-05-2008, 07:16 PM

I'm in the midst of upgrading mine. I got the amps yesterday and I have to pick at a new rec'ver so I can get the new codecs DD-HD and DTS-Master Audio. I have a 60" RCA for a TV that I plan to replace with a 1080p Projector. I'm hoping the TV lasts though, it's the last thing I want to replace. I'm running 7.1 right now with a mix of speakers, they are next on my list to replace, thinking about Swan Diva's

My tank is in the same room also. I don't mind it for everyday tv watching but I turn the lights off on the tank for movies.

Last edited by Parker; 11-05-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:23 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

Where did you get the sign from?

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 11-05-2008, 07:24 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Do you notice a difference between 7.1 and 5.1? I've been on 5.1 for I guess pushing 10 years now so I understand it's "old school" but then again I honestly don't know if I would notice a huge difference. I still get annoyed when I think someone's behind me knocking stuff over on a shelf or something, or the doorbell rings, and then I realize it's what I'm watching.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:37 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Ya Tony the difference in 5.1 and 7.1 is

2 ROLMFAO
Old 11-05-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital-audiophile View Post
Where did you get the sign from?

I bought it off EBAY
Old 11-05-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Do you notice a difference between 7.1 and 5.1? I've been on 5.1 for I guess pushing 10 years now so I understand it's "old school" but then again I honestly don't know if I would notice a huge difference. I still get annoyed when I think someone's behind me knocking stuff over on a shelf or something, or the doorbell rings, and then I realize it's what I'm watching.
Tony,

It depends on the size of your room. If you have a small to meduim sized room there is zero reason to go to 7.1. I was 5.1 for years also until I bought my present house. The room I'm using now is much larger and I had holes in the sound as I didn't want to place the rear speakers on stands behind the sofa, they sit close to 14' from my ears.

Secondly there are very few 7.1 sound tracks out there at the moment, that is starting to change with the new audio codecs and Blu-Ray. Most movie tracks are mixed 5.1 so you aren't "missing" any sound when compairing 7.1 to 5.1 When listening to 7.1 the rec'er takes the 5.1 track and mixes it to 7.1

Last edited by Parker; 11-05-2008 at 08:48 PM.