Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 05-28-2016, 03:25 PM

patpare is on a distinguished road
Default Skimmer advice please

Well today I'm looking to order a new protein skimmer but due to all the option out there I'm kinda flustered on which one to get.
I need to make the best choice as possible cause I don't get spare cash to often to make such a big purchase. I've been using my SWC 120 cone skimmer for 7+yrs now and it's still works like a champ. But like I said spare money doesn't come around to often here,so knowing that skimmers are essential to successfully keep sps dominant tank.

My tank is a 30g +another 15g in my sump.

So my choices are

Coralbox D500
Bubble Magnus Curve7
Vertex omega 180i

Thank you
Pat
Old 05-28-2016, 03:35 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Have heard nothing but great things about the BM Curve 5/7s. Great value (less than half the price of the Vertex). If I was in the market for a NEW skimmer, that's the one I would get. It may just be me but I see a lot of Vertex skimmers being sold used on Canreef, but almost never the BM Curves, even though a lot of reefers have bought these new. Online reviews for both are very positive, but either one would be way overkill for your small system, so I'd go for the best bang-for-the-buck BM.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:39 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
Have heard nothing but great things about the BM Curve 5/7s. Great value (less than half the price of the Vertex). If I was in the market for a NEW skimmer, that's the one I would get. It may just be me but I see a lot of Vertex skimmers being sold used on Canreef, but almost never the BM Curves, even though a lot of reefers have bought these new. Online reviews for both are very positive, but either one would be way overkill for your small system, so I'd go for the best bang-for-the-buck BM.
+1
Old 05-28-2016, 03:47 PM
Zoa Hoarder

davej is on a distinguished road

I have a BM curve 5 on my 60 gallon cube and it works great.
7 would probably be overkill.
Have a look at the new DC version of the 5, looks like great value!
Old 05-28-2016, 05:44 PM

Skimmer Juice is on a distinguished road

I would go vertex if you have the option , I would think the vertex skimmers being sold on here are more because people who tend to buy high end skimmers are more likely to sell just so they can try out new equipment nothing to do with performance . Like me for instance sometimes I will sell a skimmer just to ease the cost if trying something new . As of right now Im running a vertex omega 150 on a 50g shallow reef love my skimmer , besides the smell when I have to clean the cup , my vertex has pulled out thicker skimate than my previous skimmers and the build quality is far superior to a bubble magus , vertex hold pretty good resale value . Not knocking any of the other choices but I think the vertex is a easy pick if you have the moola for it , Im assuming you are thinking 180i for space instead of a 130 ?
Old 05-28-2016, 08:12 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

If I was looking at Bubble Magus skimmers I would look at the new curves with the DC motor such as the A5 or A8. Not much difference in price than the older curve models.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
If I was looking at Bubble Magus skimmers I would look at the new curves with the DC motor such as the A5 or A8. Not much difference in price than the older curve models.
The A5 is the one that I have been looking at.
Now I need to find the best price because my list just got longer as I'm also looking at the Jebao DTC400 for my return pump and the Jebao DTC3000 for my biopellets.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:18 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by patpare View Post
The A5 is the one that I have been looking at.
Now I need to find the best price because my list just got longer as I'm also looking at the Jebao DTC400 for my return pump and the Jebao DTC3000 for my biopellets.
It's hard to beat Reefsupplies or Jlaquatics for prices and both provide excellent service.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:27 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Pat, what's wrong with your SWC? I don't think any of the skimmers you listed would outperform the SWC Cone. Those skimmers are beasts. If anything, just buy a new pump for it, and use the old one as a backup. Honestly, I think some of the older skimmer bodies are better than many of the newer skimmer bodies because it seems like build quality is getting worse and worse. The SWC cone skimmers are nice bodies. I'm running an old ATB 840. I had a brand new Bubble King Double Cone 180, and I kept the ATB and sold the BK when the opportunity came up. The BK did not outperform the ATB, and side by side it was the same skimmer body.

SPS fanatic.

Old 05-29-2016, 03:09 PM

Thanks Mindy
Do you know what pump would fit in the SWC 120?
Like you said those skimmers rock🤘The skimmer is still going strong and itnever gave me any issues.
So maybe I should use that money for a new lighting system.
I'm currently running a DIY T5 HO fixture that I put together 6months ago after switching from my AI Sol led fixture.
ATI fixtures seem to be the preferred fixture by most people.

Ps: Mindy when are you gonna have some of those sweet sps ready to frag and sell?as you seem to be the only one in sask that is a sps fan like me✌️