Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 10-23-2013, 03:40 AM
Banned

Insguy is on a distinguished road
Default The Kids Tank Upgrade

For those of you don't know me, I am Trevor. I have been in the hobby for one year and have started two different tanks. I decided that I should get off the sidelines and put some of my information up. You guys can give ideas and direction on the new tank build.A little background.
Tank one was a 38 gal cube. I was told that 38 gallons was not enough and I didn’t listen, not the first time or the last. I started and thought that it would take me some time to out grow the tank. It took just over three months and surprise new tank. At that point I thought “I better get a bigger tank since I want bigger fish”.
Current tank dimensions are 72L 18W 18H. With two internal over flows, it was my second tank and I got it for a steal. 125 gallon with 60 gallon sump. This tank gave me the push to go out and get a good skimmer (curve9) Love it. I decided to go with LED Radion Gen 2. They work great for me. Nice tank I got it second hand.
Thing that I have learned from these two tanks is: bigger is better, internal overflows suck, trial and error is an evil master.
Future tank, sitting in the garage, the new tank will be 60L by 28W by 28H external overflow. Just over 200 gallons. Metal frame was built and I am currently waiting on the sump which will be done in the next day or two. The wife has decided that we will be putting bookshelves under the tank and I was advised that the tank has to be dead silent. She doesn’t mind the hum of the WP40 but no pipes banging in the walls. Being the smart husband I told her that it might cost more to go that way and was allotted more room in the budget. The sump will be going in the basement and all the toys that come along with the sump. I am going to count it as a huge win.
Part of the bargain struck was that we put in new floors and replace the kitchen. I told her that we could do the floors and that the kitchen would have to wait till we have the money. That didn’t go over so well. Good thing she loves me and I can dodge her backhand.
I started to think out the plan two months ago and consulted with three different engineers about the weight of the tank on the floor. I got some different answers from each one of them. After I chose who I would work with we figured out what support I would put under the floor, plans we stamped. The basement was transformed from finished to under construction in a day. Support has gone in.

IMG_0062.jpg

Pipe fitter came and installed a new gas line for the basement fire place that is going in. I have a guy lined up for Thursday to core a hole in the foundation. As soon as the venting is I will be plumbing the returns and drains for the tank. This should be done by the end of the week. The basement was split in two one being the home theatre and the other being the make shift guest room. It will be opened up into one big room.

IMG_5107.jpg
Old 10-23-2013, 03:50 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Old 10-23-2013, 03:54 AM

thmh is on a distinguished road

Old 10-23-2013, 04:42 AM
Vendor

eli@fijireefrock.com is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thmh View Post
Really ...I want some popcorn to,...

also following the build
Old 10-23-2013, 08:18 AM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

Kien has been eating so much popcorn last lil bit I am thinking he is going to turn into that exploding pig we see advertised on TV for kids

Sorry for hijacking your thread but couple of questions what kind of tank are you looking at for visual display reef, FOWLR, or straight coral tank? Remember using a basement sump the return pump gets a major upsizing and some are not all that quiet. Venting for possible condensation in either the display or sump tanks?
Old 10-23-2013, 01:08 PM
Banned

Default Pump and venting

The basement has been roughed in with a six vent. There will be a humidity sensor in the sump room to control it. The pump that I will be going with is a speed wave 2640. I have heard a few different pumps running and I liked this one.

Tank will be a reef set up.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:44 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I love tank builds that involve demos
Old 10-23-2013, 02:58 PM

BC564 is on a distinguished road

I will be tagging along on this build.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:55 AM
Banned

Default Progress

There has been progress. The fireplace is in. It keeps the basement nice and warm. Best choice we made for the home. I have moved all the electrical, for the basement. I just need to finish off the plumbing and then we can close everything up. I put the tank and stand in the final resting spot. This should be fun. Finish the plumbing, pull the tank and stand back out and do the drywall and paint. After that is done move the tank back and rip up the flooring, move the tank and replace that flooring. Good amount of work. I told my wife that I would have the basement done by mid November. I will post a few pictures to show you the progress.

THe current set up.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:18 AM

Kryptic4L is on a distinguished road

i dont get it ? what do the kids have to do with this build