Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 02-07-2014, 01:56 AM
Banned

Insguy is on a distinguished road
Default Insurance

The insurance coverage varies from each company. I have seen policies that will specifically exclude coverage on an aquarium. What that means, let’s say you have a fire. The fire destroys half of the home and the aquarium at the same time. Most people would assume that their insurance would cover it, to some degree. That is not the fact with some insurance. I just thought that it might be a topic that causes some good discussion.

Your right Sphelps that the death of fish should not be covered for suicide and murder. However, let’s take accident for example. There are policies that would respond to this. I am not talking about an individual fish but the tank, all livestock.

How do you value the tank? We need some kind of proof of what was in there. Insurance companies don’t ask for receipts for everything. Nobody has that. The will ask for pictures to prove that it was in your possession. With this hobby it seems that everyone has at least a few shots of their tank.
Check your water coverage I bet that in the last year it has changed. With the Alberta flood that happened coverage is being restricted big time. I have seen companies that won’t offer sewer back up. They will also restrict the water leakage on the policy.
Check your policy and make sure that it hasn’t changed. I would bet that everyone will see some kind of change with their policy in the next year if it already hasn’t.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:18 AM

Ryancw is on a distinguished road

im curious in knowing what coverage on flood damage caused by equipment even adds to a yearly premium if somebody doesnt mind me asking?
Old 02-07-2014, 02:24 AM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

I do still have water damage coverage, that hasn't changed, but I got hit with a $700/yr increase and I will have to check but I have $1000 deductible, never had a house claim, even though all my neighbours have had hail damage repairs completed due to the 2012 storm, we haven't claimed.guess we should if I'm already paying for everyone else's.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:55 PM

LoJack is on a distinguished road

I understand them not covering a tank if it's your screw up, or if its a manufacturers defect that caused a failure.

But what if someone breaks into your house, and they are D-Bags and smash your tank because they can ... would insurance cover you then? For damage caused and replacing the tank? Just the damage?
Old 02-07-2014, 10:03 PM
Banned

Insguy is on a distinguished road

I sale policies that would cover it, but some don't. You would need to consult your agent. Check it out, worst case is that you find out what your covered for and find better insurance.