Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-03-2013, 04:22 AM

RDNanoGuy is on a distinguished road

In your tanks case you pump requirements will look something like this:

125g display x 5 turnover per hour = 625gph

625gph x 20% for refuge = 750gph

You should therefore look for a pump that will provide 750gph @ whatever vertical distance is from the pump to the display return nozzle.

Also don't be afraid to use a slightly oversize pump maybe. 20% larger and use a ball valve on the output. This can be advantageous in 3 ways:

1. You can dial in the perfect flow, which is helpful in quieting noisy overflows.
2. You can use the excess capacity later to run other accessories like carbon and phosban reactors thereby saving the price of another pump.
3. Restricted pumps run more efficiently and use less. Electricity.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:43 PM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

Ok that makes sense, Im thinking the mag9.5 pump its rated for 950 probably around 900 ish after head loss and i can dial it back.

Also Im looking into skimmers and i see a problem right off the bat the skimmer section (middle) is only 7" high before draining into the bubble trap and return, would it be a big deal to add glass or acrylic to the bubble trap to raise the water to say 9" which is what most skimmers are calling for
Old 09-04-2013, 08:46 PM

Im looking at these so far for skimmers

Bubble magus curve 7-
http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-st...er-canada.html
Reef octopus Nwb-150-(or the 200)
http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-st...p-Skimmer.html
Vertex omega 150
http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-st...0-gallons.html
Old 09-05-2013, 04:21 AM

RDNanoGuy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdillman View Post
Ok that makes sense, Im thinking the mag9.5 pump its rated for 950 probably around 900 ish after head loss and i can dial it back.
I think you will have a little more head loss than that, most setups with the sump in the stand have between 4' and 5' od head pressure. The mac 9.5 will work fine but probably won't give you much room to play with. If you've got the extra couple of bucks maybe get a mag 12.

As for a skimmer all 3 of your choices will serve you well although i personally like the reef octopus skimmers the best. Vertex is a solid well regarded brand also.

As far as the required water height I've found being a bit low is better than too high. As long as the skimmer intake is completely submerged it will work fine. If you find the output splashes too much you can always fit an elbow to point the outflow into the water.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:42 AM

Mag 9.5

Specifications:
Input: 3/4"
Output: 3/4"
Flow Rate at 0' Head: 950 GPH
Flow Rate at 4' Head: 800 GPH
Flow Rate at 6' Head: 760 GPH

So I might be right on the edge with that but would the 12 be over kill? I dont mind the extra money but dont want the pump to be too much?

Mag 12
Specifications:
Input: 3/4"
Output: 3/4"
Flow Rate at 0' Head: 1200 GPH
Flow Rate at 4' Head: 1100 GPH
Flow Rate at 6' Head: 950 GPH
Old 09-05-2013, 03:07 PM

Yea I think Im going to go with the Reef Octopus skimmer probably the 200 version
Old 09-05-2013, 04:08 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

I would look at something like this for a return. http://www.reefsupplycanada.com/jeba...rollable-pump/

You can control it and if you need to tee it off later you can up the power and keep your flow healthy. This gives you flexibility.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

If you can, go overkill with GPH and get a DC controllable pump. That gives you lots of options there. You can always throttle them back, which is really nice.

Otherwise if you're stuck on the Magdrives (so am I... I love them) go for the 12 for sure. I had a similar setup with the 9.5 and I easily could have handled more flow.

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 09-08-2013, 07:05 PM

Yea i think im actually going to go the DC controllable route it gives me more options and for really not that much more money

Thinking of the speed wave 1320gph heard good things about it

'http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-st...p-1320GPH.html

and it only like 10$ more than the mag 12
Old 09-14-2013, 07:01 PM

Well Not sure if i should be excited about PVC but..... finally all the fittings came in for the plumbing and got all day tomorrow to work on it so here goes nothing... if the return pump should be in on monday like its supposed to i can get a freshwater test outta the way and well on the way to getting this thing going!