Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 01-10-2013, 01:45 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road
Talking Got my new light

So I came home today from university and saw a big 4' box infront of the door. NEW LIGHT! YAY

Its an odyssea (yah yah :P) deluxe 4 bulb T5HO 36" light. I have just given it a test run and here are my opinions:

Shipping: I was surprised how quickly this thing came in. I ordered it online on 2nd Jan, shipped on 4th Jan from USA and received it today (9th Jan). I am very happy with the shipping.

Packaging: To be honest, I am not impressed it the packaging. Its a big white box with another brown box inside and the whole fixture was just one layered bubble packed. It could have been easily damaged. But its all good since the whole thing is in one piece with no broken bulbs. And they have also included a manual for the timer.

Build quality: I must say I am impressed with the build quality. Plastic with three fan vents along with side vents, easy-to-remove splash guard and the timer is the gold (although I have not tried the auto mode yet; need to find out how it works). The legs were a big PITA to get into position but its not that bad.

Reflector/light: Well it came with 2 actinics and 2 daylight. I would question the light, particularly one actinic, which has flash bands going inside the bulb. But they are definitely a huge improvement over my previous 2 bulb T5 fixture. HUGE difference! I gave it a little test run and MY GOD I was literally blown away. My tank looks totally different. I wonder what's gonna happen when I add ATI bulbs :P The leds are total disappointment. Although there are 6 LEDs (1w underdrived I presume), it doesn't put enough light. I can hardly see any moonlight effect in the tank with those. I will be sticking the stunner strip with this fixture for moonlight. The reflector is where most of the people will get the disappointment. It is a one piece reflector and not even curved around each bulb. But I believe I wont have any problem with it since it should still put in more than enough light for my tank.

Overall conclusion: I am very happy with this fixture. For $145 shipped, it is a great bargain! I will be changing one actinic to actinic+ and one 10000k to ati purple+ for now and let other two stocks run for now.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 01-10-2013, 02:02 AM

jtbadco is on a distinguished road

From my experience with the Odyssea stock bulbs I suggest you ditch them all right away. I had real bad cyano problems immediately after installing the Odyssea lights on two different tanks. Went away as soon as I changed the bulbs to Geismann
Old 01-10-2013, 02:05 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I will get all new bulbs Don't want anything to go wrong.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:20 AM

molotov is on a distinguished road

Two thumbs up for your improved lighting. Glad your tank looks like a new tank. You'll have to post more pics with the new bulbs.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:41 AM

canadianbudz604 is on a distinguished road
Default Odyssea

These light fixtures are a good deal for the price, but like the others say make sure u change the bulbs out. I've got the 4 bulb 24" with all kz bulbs and it puts out more than enough light. My bulb combo is coral 2nd gens and 2 super blues. Btw ur tank looks sick
Old 01-10-2013, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molotov View Post
Two thumbs up for your improved lighting. Glad your tank looks like a new tank. You'll have to post more pics with the new bulbs.
Yah surely

Old 01-10-2013, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbudz604 View Post
These light fixtures are a good deal for the price, but like the others say make sure u change the bulbs out. I've got the 4 bulb 24" with all kz bulbs and it puts out more than enough light. My bulb combo is coral 2nd gens and 2 super blues. Btw ur tank looks sick
I am thinking of purple+, actinic+, actinic+ and coral. All ATI since kz are hell expensive :S

Thanks for the appreciation

Old 01-10-2013, 05:40 AM

NIVLEM09 is on a distinguished road

that's a nice fixture...i had the same one on my 33 gallon softies tank til i upgraded to Ecoxotic leds and now i'm upgrading to Ecotech Radion gen 2 on friday
Old 01-10-2013, 05:57 AM
Jedi Master Reefer

Wheelman76 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
I am thinking of purple+, actinic+, actinic+ and coral. All ATI since kz are hell expensive :S

Thanks for the appreciation
Go with the blue+ instead of the actinic+
Old 01-10-2013, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelman76 View Post
Go with the blue+ instead of the actinic+
Yah I hardly saw people using actinic+. Any particular reason for that?