Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 10-06-2015, 01:36 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Myself I would rather not read nor hear from scientists. They're write ups are totally boring and put me to sleep. I'd much rather hear from a hobbyist, it's easier and way more interesting as they speak in layman's terms. I've read so many posts from the cut copy and paste scientists and they are proven wrong so many times. People take this hobby way too far and it's really not as difficult as one thinks. It scares people away constantly hearing that scientific talk. That and the cost of the hobby.
Oh I love when I read something I don't understand. That means I have to go learn something. I find it way more interesting to try to extract bits and pieces and apply it to some new methodology or using that information to define anecdotal evidence.

SPS fanatic.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:04 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Well, I could talk more about why canreef might be declining, but my knuckles are getting sore from being rapped so much. And oh, this was supposed to be a topic about spirited discussions...

I will still say though, that it is the experienced hobbyists that make this forum great. I myself was very inspired with some of the tanks and pics I have seen here. Talk and opinion is sometimes interesting (incl the drama), but what really means the most to me is demonstrated success with journals and pics.

Science is great, but as others have said, it can be lost in the interpretation and may not always be applicable, or practical, and feasible to the regular hobbyist. And even right here on this forum, have seen some abominable examples of so called scientists (or students in the field) that have totally messed up their tanks with misguided applications of their theoretical assumptions.

So, for me proven success is what matters most. And sure would hate to see those people leave the forum.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:22 PM
Han Solo

Ram3500 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Canreef was the most exciting when the buy and sell popped up in Active Threads.It made for a very active page. I felt that I always had to be checking back to in fear of missing some great deal.
I understand that the vendors maybe didn't like this in fear that they were losing out on business but they are wrong. A more active fourm will only draw more clicks in the Vendor Forums driving customer to there web pages. More users on canreef = more $ in the vendors pockets.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:08 PM

Skimmer Juice is on a distinguished road

I assumed the boards were slow due to the time of year but also think the boards slowed down when the buy/sell rules changed. I know of a couple members that quit coming on here at that point . Also been reading about people leaving the hobby/not enjoying it anymore quit a bit. To be honest this is my main forum I go to reef central once in a while to read through the shallow tank club thread and the pipefish/seahorse thread as there is not much pipefish activity on here . Discussion can get burned out when there is limited activity IMO I'm sure it will pick up . Also agree that topics have reached a point where a lot of info can be found by googling , when I started the info was not out there like it is now . To be honest even though the questions may get repetitive it's still better to ask in a thread as you may find out something you were not directly looking for . Im just glad after 11 years in the hobby Im still excited as ever with the hobby , really hope that the day where the hobby does not interest me at all never comes .
Old 10-06-2015, 08:17 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram3500 View Post
I think Canreef was the most exciting when the buy and sell popped up in Active Threads.It made for a very active page. I felt that I always had to be checking back to in fear of missing some great deal.
I understand that the vendors maybe didn't like this in fear that they were losing out on business but they are wrong. A more active fourm will only draw more clicks in the Vendor Forums driving customer to there web pages. More users on canreef = more $ in the vendors pockets.
All I get in new posts in buy/sell. Not sure what you mean about active posts?
Old 10-06-2015, 08:18 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
All I get in new posts in buy/sell. Not sure what you mean about active posts?
Oh, I see what you might be doing. I simply navigate the site by clicking new posts. It's all there.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:17 PM

somafish is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a lot of jaded folks on here! What could we do to make it more entertaining on the site, coral auctions? More vendor give aways? I thought it was pretty awesome when I had a chance to go to MACNA, actually I think Concept is the only vendor I have seen offer anything for free
Old 10-06-2015, 09:49 PM
Han Solo

Ram3500 is an unknown quantity at this point

When viewing the fourm on my iphone or ipad there is no new post tab available. I am sure I am not the only person on ios. I wonder how is appears
on android

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-06-2015, 09:54 PM

Ryanerickson is on a distinguished road

You have to be logged in to see the new post tab
Old 10-06-2015, 09:55 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram3500 View Post
When viewing the fourm on my iphone or ipad there is no new post tab available. I am sure I am not the only person on ios. I wonder how is appears
on android

[IMG][/IMG]
I think you have to be logged on before the New Posts tab appears.