Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 01-23-2018, 01:38 PM

Gdar2263 is on a distinguished road
Default Snowflake Eel hasen't eaten in 3 Months...

looking for advice/other peoples experiences. I picked up the eel from a guy when he was about 3 years old and I have had him for 2 years. he is 24" long and had always been a voracious eater, I would feed a few times a week with a mixed diet of silverside, shrimp, clams etc. he has not eaten for short periods before but nothing like this, I have tried fresh mussels and nothing, tried feeding at all periods of the day or night, get the food right up to him and he sinks back into his cave. he still looks good, has not lost any size that i can see. I did add a Harlequin tusk and Rabbit fish to existing tank mates of a Flame angel and Clown but everyone gets along with no issues. not to sure what to do here...

120 gal
10 ppm nitrate
1300 Mag
Alk 8
PH 8.2
Old 01-24-2018, 01:21 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

My last snowflake was 9 when it grew a large tumour and died and the current one is 5 but I haven't had this problem before. Do you have enough live rock so that it can conceal itself entirely when it wants to? I have seen distressed eels in tanks with inadequate hiding spots. Do/did you have any crabs or shrimp in there with it? Maybe its spoiling its dinner by eating those. Have you tried soaking the food in Kent Garlic? Sometimes that helps to entice picky eaters.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 01-24-2018, 02:33 PM

I have a 2" abs pipe that he like to hide in as well as 2 other cave spots that he likes to hide out in, Ive tried the garlic angle a few times with no success. he was out this morning and looks good, nothing to suggest that he has been picked on. I do have a clean up crew but mostly sand sifters and for the most part have been accounted for. had another suggestion the other day indicating that he is in a type of hibernation mode, hopefully that is the case!at this point I will keep trying once a week with some fresh food and see if he takes it
Old 01-27-2018, 02:01 PM

Nate is on a distinguished road
Default Snowflake

I had a snowflake bordering on 3 feet that took 6 months off eating. Was active when food was out. Even bit at cocktail shrimp, but would eat nothing for about 6 months. At the time I was feeding the sharks in the tank a variety of whitefish, and squid, and he would not touch it. It wasn’t until I decided to grab some wild salmon at the grocery store to cube up and give it a try and he was back on eating. Ate two cubes of salmon, then was eating whitefish, squid, shrimp, anything pretty much again within a week . This was about 4 years ago and he’s still around today .
Old 01-27-2018, 03:54 PM

Thanks Nate.

That was the exact info I was searching for. I will keep trying to feed various foods until he decides to eat.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:19 AM

Nate is on a distinguished road
Default No prob

No problem. Please also note that during that time he was being offered farmed salmon and I only bought the wild salmon on a whim as it was 50% off at the time. After that time he also took a strong liking to cut up octopus arms as well.