Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 01-13-2015, 04:43 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

letting rox sit in ro water overnight (in advance) and stirring it a few times will cause almost all of it to sink.

in theory a quick rinse with ro water should be better than tap but there's water contact (and fast moving as well) for like 10 seconds. i highly doubt the carbon becomes used up to any detectable degree but i suppose it's possible.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:35 AM

mikellini is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Digital View Post
I found the RO style canister reactors best, easy to replace media, no risk of media entry into the tank.

I think Reef supplies sells them.
They sell the Spectrapure dual media reactor, adjustable flow to each reactor, it's what I'd buy if I didn't just run carbon in a bag in the bubble trap of my sump.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:31 AM

htfn is on a distinguished road

I'll try RO style reactor and let carbon soak in RO water 24hrs. Just confirming before sit in the water I still need to rinse it right?
Old 01-13-2015, 01:48 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

I just rinse (no overnight sitting), and then put it in the cartridge that sits inside the RO canister. I have a sponge at the top of the cartridge (outflow) and it does not plug.

I do have a 3 canister reactor, and the first one is just used for pre-filtering the water. But it does keeps the crap out of the carbon (middle canister) and GFO (3rd one) canisters.

The only maintenance I do is stir up my GFO every 2 or 3 weeks to make it last longer. And that is very simple and quick. Just unscrew the canister, take out the cartridge, shake it around and re-install.

Last edited by Reef Pilot; 01-13-2015 at 01:55 PM.