Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-20-2009, 10:00 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

The 18-70mm will do f3.5 at 18mm and f4.5 at 70mm.

I don't agree with what was said about the 105mm and the requirement for a full frame camera. The D300 has a 1.5x CROP FACTOR not magnification. The image is in no way magnified, but rather simply cropped. Therefore you don't actually loose image quality, you're just not using the far edges of the lens. In addition DX lenses take this into consideration and when used with a DX body you will use the entire frame from the lens, the FX bodies can still use these lenses but don't gain anything from them.

Full Frame
1.3x Crop Factor
1.5x Crop Factor
1.6x Crop Factor

The D3 and D700 are fantastic bodies and have large advantages but don't think you need to spend that kind of money just to use a macro lens. The 105 will work very well with the D300 and other DX bodies. Also keep in mind if you buy an FX body, don't waste your money on DX lenses, you have to buy all the expensive FX lenses if you want to take advantage of the full frame.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:25 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I own the d80 and borrow the 105VR from time to time. It's takes the most amazing portraits and is very sharp. Yeah it crops on my body but I've taken some really nice macros with it as well.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:43 PM

Skimmin is on a distinguished road

Cool. Well thanks for all the response thus far. An SLR is a big decision for me and I want to make the right choice. I think I'm beginning to lean away from the 18-200 and I think I may consider the 18-70 and 70-200 even though it means hauling around 2 lenses. I think the body is still the biggest decision. I want something that feels good and not too 'plasticey' which I don't think I'm gonna run into with these choices. I think the D700 is probably what I may go with but I guess I'll see if I can give a few of them a try before I buy them. Another question is... UV filters? I know its always good to use one if nothing else to protect your lens. What should I take into consideration when buying one for a telephoto (for scenery) and one for more close up stuff?
Old 07-21-2009, 01:33 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

You should go something else instead of the 18-70 if you get the D700 like the 24-85, the 18-70 is a DX lens. Don't spend that kind of money on n dslr if youre worried about carrying lenses around
Old 07-21-2009, 05:23 AM

Ian is on a distinguished road

I am releative newb to DSLR and was given a D80 as a gift a year ago. It is still smarter than I am IMO it is a very good camera and more than enough if you are not very advanced.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:33 PM

vessey is on a distinguished road

I think those bodies might be more then you need and you would probably be better off buying a cheaper body and some good lenses. Buying a full frame camera is only really needed if you want to take scenery shots and can't have the cropping that a APS would cause. APS are also better for cropping because they have more MP by area. D90 has 12.3 MP on a 23.6mm x 15.8mm ASP, D700 has 12.1MP on a 36mm x 23.9mm full frame sensor. Also don't get hung up on the fx and dx lenses unless you plan on going full frame later on because they make some good dx too. If you did get the D700 get the fx though.

You could always buy a cheaper body now and learn with it then decide what you think you need that it doesn't have and buy a better body a few years from now. They are constantly coming out with newer and better, I cringe when I think about home much I paid for my cameras 2 and 3 years ago and how obsoliet they are.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:28 AM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=1

You'll be happy with either Canon or Nikon. Both companies make very good products. I went with Canon simply because I could mooch lenses off of a good friend who shoots Canon.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:27 AM

Skimmin is on a distinguished road

So I finally decided and... I cheaped out and went with the Canon 50D. That being said I bought a couple 'L' series lenses and I am very happy with my purchase. I ended up with the EF 17-40mm f/4L IS and the EF 70-200mm f/4L IS. I think they'll work quite nicely for now, and I'll obviously have to add a lens or two (or 10 lol) to my arsenal to get full range capabilities. Anyways. Thanks to everyone with all your input and advice. It was very helpful and also the reason I made(what I think is) the right choice, going with the lower model camera and the good quality lenses.

Thanks again
Old 07-24-2009, 03:01 PM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmin View Post
So I finally decided and... I cheaped out and went with the Canon 50D. That being said I bought a couple 'L' series lenses and I am very happy with my purchase. I ended up with the EF 17-40mm f/4L IS and the EF 70-200mm f/4L IS. I think they'll work quite nicely for now, and I'll obviously have to add a lens or two (or 10 lol) to my arsenal to get full range capabilities. Anyways. Thanks to everyone with all your input and advice. It was very helpful and also the reason I made(what I think is) the right choice, going with the lower model camera and the good quality lenses.

Thanks again
I think you'll be very happy. The 100mm f2.8 macro is THE Canon lens for awesome coral shots. It's a real steal at around $500.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:49 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

I don't think the 50D is cheaping out You made the right choice as spending more money on lenses is better than buying a high end body and using cheaper lenses. I used to take publishable photos with a Canon Rebel. It's all in the glass. you will be more than happy with it.