Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 04-18-2013, 05:01 AM

Chase31 is on a distinguished road

I wish our main office was in edmonton instead of calgary so i didnt have to live in a hotel for a week while im trying to cycle my tank cuz of courses.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:03 PM

Kryptic4L is on a distinguished road

Wondering what the heck happens behind the scenes, fish pricing is all over the map.

Edmonton has power blues for 60 bux and mysteries for 100. Calgary is 80 and 120 for the same fish.

Pieces can double or triple the average cost on some fish, however have one fish that is 50 dollars cheaper then j&l..
Old 04-18-2013, 07:09 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

It goes back to that old saying that something is only worth what someone else will pay for it. In this case the stores are pricing them at what they know they will likely get.

Things have changed in cycles over the years but for LFS's right now, seems to me Edmonton has more competition than Calgary does. Plus Calgary seems to have enough of a market share of people willing to just pay whatever in order to get what they want, maybe Edmonton has more discerning customers who do their homework..
Old 04-18-2013, 11:28 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

High on paint fumes. Stand will be refinished too. But in place... Gona be a bit more difficult.

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 04-19-2013, 01:13 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptic4L View Post
Wondering what the heck happens behind the scenes, fish pricing is all over the map.

Edmonton has power blues for 60 bux and mysteries for 100. Calgary is 80 and 120 for the same fish.

Pieces can double or triple the average cost on some fish, however have one fish that is 50 dollars cheaper then j&l..
our powder blues at concept aquatics are $55.00 each and our mystery wrasses are $100.00 while im sure i could get more as pb's in town go for closer to $80 bucks we price them the same way we price anything , not based on what we can get but a general markup by percentage based on cost , so if cost is reasonable and the markup never changes then the product stays at a good price.

my price on a juvie emperor angel was 79.99 while big als just right next door to us was 189.99..............huge difference, but after seeing this one would think i should mark the price up but its not like that ,not to us anyways, we took the cost plus all other costs and applied our retail markup which is the same for fish and for corals and the price was $80......no need to get greedy right

i think youll find mark up on fish isnt regulated and is sure to change from store to store , as always its up to the consumer to shop for best prices and make their purchases based on knowlege learned.

cheers

denny
concept aquatics
Old 04-19-2013, 01:37 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
our powder blues at concept aquatics are $55.00 each and our mystery wrasses are $100.00 while im sure i could get more as pb's in town go for closer to $80 bucks we price them the same way we price anything , not based on what we can get but a general markup by percentage based on cost , so if cost is reasonable and the markup never changes then the product stays at a good price.

my price on a juvie emperor angel was 79.99 while big als just right next door to us was 189.99..............huge difference, but after seeing this one would think i should mark the price up but its not like that ,not to us anyways, we took the cost plus all other costs and applied our retail markup which is the same for fish and for corals and the price was $80......no need to get greedy right

i think youll find mark up on fish isnt regulated and is sure to change from store to store , as always its up to the consumer to shop for best prices and make their purchases based on knowlege learned.

cheers

denny
concept aquatics
THIS is how a business should run. Markup a set rate. Not what can I get for it. The world would be a better place and everyone, buisnesses' included would be better off. The What will the market bear is BS. I could charge way more for my powdercoating, but I charge a fair labour/materials rate and customers keep coming back, I'm improving the world and making money at it. If I charged what they would pay, I would have less customers in the long run and make less.

I seen that bck when I was 20, Ohh 20 years ago (dating myself I know) The Night Club I worked in had us change how we made Paralyzers. More coke than Milk. Cause milk was too expensive they said. I did the math. We lost lots of sales, mine included BC the Paralyzers tasted like crap. Then they said, well were not sellin and makin enough, we have to raise prices!. heres a concept, lower prices a little and get double the business!!!

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 04-19-2013, 01:47 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

It also depends on where you ship the fish in from. Indo fish are way cheaper then fish shipped in from other parts of the world, but unfortunately they are usually not as healthy. Also I know people who ordered the fish in Large size so they paid more up front for the fish but then when they got the fish it was small. There are also different fish at different times of the year that are easier or harder to get in which will affect the price.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:35 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Watching this really bad yet stupidly funny movie 'Idiocracy'

"If you have one bucket that holds 2 gallons, and another bucket that holds 5 gallons, how many buckets do you have"?
Old 04-20-2013, 06:37 AM

ckmullin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post

"If you have one bucket that holds 2 gallons, and another bucket that holds 5 gallons, how many buckets do you have"?

Old 04-20-2013, 07:01 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post

The wrong answer would be 7?