Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Photography

Old 04-29-2013, 03:21 PM

slakker is on a distinguished road

I shoot with D3 and m wife with D90... Because of hat, I never get DX lenses and I prefer the FX sensor...
Old 04-29-2013, 03:33 PM

yycguy is on a distinguished road

Howdy, I have the d600, upgraded at Christmas from the d7000, that's another good Camera. So it's a decision on going full frame or sticking with the cropped DX line of lens. You can sill however use a DX lens on the D600, maybe that's where you got he 16 megapixel ? That is I believe the number when you use a DX lens on the D600. Now for the Dust issue! Yes I had dust! ( Cleaned it easily) But I guess what Camera doesn't to some degree? My D7000 did as well. Sorry don't have any tank pictures right now to show you, but I have some other great shots I would be glad to share if you want to see the great pictures this Camera takes, long and short I am more than happy with the Camera and I would guess you would be as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 04-29-2013, 03:58 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Sorry, I got the megapixel #'s wrong typing that post in a hurry (should have checked my facts before posting but .. meh). What I really meant to get at was that the D800 has probably more megapixels than what I would ever make use of since I am not a pro shooter and I don't foresee a lot of really big poster sized images (unless cropping out a very small portion of an image is something people do a lot of, I generally haven't, because I don't have the megapixels for that now). I think the D600 with whatever megapixels it has, would functionally serve me well enough and it is (comparatively to other models) priced nicely enough to consider getting into the FX sensor line. Especially since coming off the 6Mp D70s I would imagine anything will seem a huge leap forward.

Last edited by Delphinus; 04-29-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:01 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

let's back-track a moment. how does the cost of this new camera compare to that of your LED upgrade? i think we need to step back a few steps in this decision process...
Old 04-29-2013, 04:07 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

It's about half what LEDs would cost me.

I haven't made any final decisions yet, I might end up not even buying a camera and just continuing on with the whole "Look at all these nice pictures of tanks on Canreef. I wish I could put some pictures up. I hate the whole world." for another year or two.

But it's fun pretending in the meantime! I'm going to go look at Porsche 911's on kijiji next. It's a hobby. I didn't say it was a good hobby..
Old 04-29-2013, 04:28 PM

scubadawg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
It's about half what LEDs would cost me.

I haven't made any final decisions yet, I might end up not even buying a camera and just continuing on with the whole "Look at all these nice pictures of tanks on Canreef. I wish I could put some pictures up. I hate the whole world." for another year or two.

But it's fun pretending in the meantime! I'm going to go look at Porsche 911's on kijiji next. It's a hobby. I didn't say it was a good hobby..
You really like the spend money
I have a 2002 Porsche 911 Carrera that I bought 5 years ago, do it, you'll love it
Next you'll want a Rolex Daytona to go with the Porsche
Old 04-29-2013, 04:42 PM

I didn't say I'd buy one (although I'd love to). No, my hobby is just looking at them on kijiji. Sometimes I branch out and look at usedcalgary.com too.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:19 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
*coughreadtheinstructionmanualcough*

Have you seen a Dr. about that cough... It doesn't sound to healthy!

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 05-09-2013, 09:19 AM

smareo is on a distinguished road

D600 a pretty good camera for Fullframe entry but I would highly recommend a used d700 with a low shutter count if your only taking fish tank photos for half the price maybe 1000 bucks. I would even consider the nikon d5200 at 24mp. I would only go to fullframe if you have the glass or planning to have the glass in the future, the price your looking at a new Full frame lens is about 1000+ at 2.8f and less. You can get some cheap full frame primes under 600 bucks the 50mm 1.4f and 28 1.8f. I shoot with a Nikon D4, D800 and I sold the d600 because it was a pain to ttl everything for studio work.

Sample images from d5200 at 1600iso and up... remember the picture is cropped http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ni...00/noise.shtml
Old 05-09-2013, 09:34 AM

smareo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smareo View Post
D600 a pretty good camera for Fullframe entry but I would highly recommend a used d700 with a low shutter count if your only taking fish tank photos for half the price maybe 1000 bucks. I would even consider the nikon d5200 at 24mp. I would only go to fullframe if you have the glass or planning to have the glass in the future, the price your looking at a new Full frame lens is about 1000+ at 2.8f and less. You can get some cheap full frame primes under 600 bucks the 50mm 1.4f and 28 1.8f. I shoot with a Nikon D4, D800 and I sold the d600 because it was a pain to ttl everything for studio work.

Sample images from d5200 at 1600iso and up... remember the picture is cropped http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ni...00/noise.shtml

To make full use of a fullframe sensor, your must have full frame glass or you will get lots of vignetting around the corners of the photo if you use dx glass.