Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Photography

Old 09-02-2013, 05:58 PM

cbrine is on a distinguished road

Husband and I are both divers he uses an ikelite housing for his Sony camcorder that can take pics while filming. To me it's worth getting a good camera and ordering a great housing for it. I use a Sony t1 with a Sony underwater housing since if it ever falls out of my hands it will be safe. Hubby now has 2 gopros and they are also awesome!! The new gopro black is wicked!! Great clear shots/video. We have dive warm and cold (as in ice) from Guam to glacier fed lakes here in Canada all without fail. I am getting a housing from ikelite for my Olympus tough. Also never out anything on your seals unless it came from the manufacturer. It may degrade them quickly and even then after a 5 dive a day trip I may only line my rings if there is alot of sand stuck to it. Just what I've experienced as a diver and underwater photographer.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:19 PM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

from DP review

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-powershot-d20

Conclusion and samples
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-powershot-d20/5

Canon PowerShot D20
This is the first in a series of short underwater/rugged camera reviews on DPReview. We're testing the cameras concurrently, and once all six cameras have been reviewed, we'll publish a roundup of the class, comparing them directly.

While other camera manufacturers have been making rugged cameras for many years, Canon didn't enter the market until early 2009 (preferring to create optional waterproof housings for many of its 'regular' compacts instead). Canon's first truly waterproof digital compact camera, the PowerShot D10, had a rather unique (and chunky) design, but its solid performance photo quality earned it a 'Highly Recommended' badge in our 2009 Waterproof group test.

Three years later, the PowerShot D20 emerged, whose colorful, curvy but less bulbous design appears to have been be inspired by tropical fish. The D20 offers a host of improvements over its predecessor, that include the use of a CMOS sensor (which Canon touts as 'high sensitivity'), plus a 5X zoom lens (versus 3X), larger/sharper LCD, built-in GPS, and 1080p video recording. While the D20 can be submerged as deep as its predecessor underwater (10 meters), it's slightly more shock resistant and able to take a slightly higher drop than before (1.5 versus 1.2 meters).
Specification Highlights

12.1 effective megapixel BSI-CMOS sensor
F3.9-F4.8, 28-140mm lens (5X)
Optical image stabilization with 'Intelligent IS' feature
3.0 inch LCD with 461,000 dot resolution
Built-in GPS with logging function
Waterproof to 10m, shockproof from 1.5m, freezeproof to -10C
1080/24p movie mode

While the D20 has the same number of pixels as its predecessor - that's 12.1 million - its use of backside illumination technology promises better low light picture quality. That said, the D20's lens is on the slow side, with a maximum aperture range of F3.9-F4.8. This compares especially badly next to competitors like the Pentax WG-3 and Olympus Tough TG-2 (at least at wide-angle) - so the sensor has its work cut out for it.

Last edited by RuGlu6; 09-02-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:54 PM

scubadawg is on a distinguished road

I upgraded my Sea&Sea D200 housing to a new Sea&Sea D800 housing, and a couple of new Sea&Sea YS-D1 strobes a couple of months ao, just back from Lembeh Straight in Indonesia

Old 09-03-2013, 12:44 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

I am looking at the one the OP listed also, every where I look at them the fiji is the best seller out of all there stock, but I will make one change, I am not looking for a camera to take pictures underwater I am looking for one to go in the canoe with me that can handle a splash or the ocasional capsize

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:51 AM

Aysha is on a distinguished road

I have the older version (tx10) of this and I adore it.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cyber-sho...dp_ob_title_ce

It can go anywhere, takes nice photos and I can put it in my fish tank! for a point and shoot it does everything that is required, Mainly it goes anywhere I would be afraid to take my Canon 7D

Last edited by Aysha; 09-03-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:11 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
I have the Pentax Optio W10. Wicked little camera.
I have the Pentax Optio WG-II and agree these are great cameras! Being a point and shoot it obviously has terrible zoom, but it is great for close up stuff. The WG-II also has an AWESOME 1cm macro focus in addition to regular macro. It has its own ring of LEDs on the front that illuminate close objects too. It's as close to a dissection microscope as a camera can get I think!

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:38 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

What lens do you usually dive with? You run equipment similar to me, except I am a dry lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadawg View Post
I upgraded my Sea&Sea D200 housing to a new Sea&Sea D800 housing, and a couple of new Sea&Sea YS-D1 strobes a couple of months ao, just back from Lembeh Straight in Indonesia
Old 09-23-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythanith View Post
What lens do you usually dive with? You run equipment similar to me, except I am a dry lander
For the Lembeh trip I was using 105mm AF-D micro since it's all macro work, I also have the new 105mm VR, but tem I would have to buy a new port and gear set, but I only go diving 1 or 2X a year.

My lens pack that I use on holidays, is 16mm fisheye, 17-35mm f2.8 AF-S, 28-70mm f.28 Af-S, 70-200mm 2.8 VR, 1.7X teleconverter, and 60mm micro

I have a fisheye dome port for the housing, so I have the gear set for the 16mm and 17-35mm, and the gear set for 60mm micro.

I plan to go back to Lembeh in about 4-5 years, this system is way heavier underwater than my D200 system, I was getting arm strain, so I will be ordering bouyancy arms.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:06 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

Nice haul! I like the 105 VR, it's a sharp lens and still usefull for portrait work. My usual holiday haul is:105 VR f2.8, 14-24 f2.8, 28-70 f2.8, 70-200 VRII f2.8, tc-2eIII, D800e & D700+grip, RRS mounts and tripod. If it's sporting or birds I will bring the 200-400 f4 VRII or the 300 f2.8. Check out www.lithicimages.com if you get bored!

Back on topic! Nikon just released their inter changeable lens system that is shock and water "proof". May be worth looking at. I do agree that Canon's P&S's are usually better than Nikons.

Cheers,
Scott
Old 09-23-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythanith View Post
Nice haul! I like the 105 VR, it's a sharp lens and still usefull for portrait work. My usual holiday haul is:105 VR f2.8, 14-24 f2.8, 28-70 f2.8, 70-200 VRII f2.8, tc-2eIII, D800e & D700+grip, RRS mounts and tripod. If it's sporting or birds I will bring the 200-400 f4 VRII or the 300 f2.8. Check out www.lithicimages.com if you get bored!

Back on topic! Nikon just released their inter changeable lens system that is shock and water "proof". May be worth looking at. I do agree that Canon's P&S's are usually better than Nikons.

Cheers,
Scott
My next lens I want is a 200-400 VR, 14-24mm, or the 24mm tilt shift lens, After using a D800, it's hard to use my D700, have both grips also
I am using Gitzo carbon fiber tripods and monopods, with a Kirk BH-1 and RRS small ballhead BH-25, on my monopod, along with the RRS and their portrait setup and gary Fong lightspheres, etc. RRS body plates and battery plates.
My lens are 10.5DX, 18-200mm DX, 12-24mm DX, 16mm,18mm,20mm, 85mm f1.8, 24-120mm, 24-120mm vr, 17-35mm, 28-70mm, 70-200mm vr, 80-200 2.8 AFS, 35mm PC, 60mm micro AF-D, 105mm AF-D, 105mm VR.

What do you think or the 28-70mm vs the new 24-70mm?

Yung