Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Photography

Old 03-16-2012, 03:30 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I don't know how to deal with RAW photos...I should learn. I would like to get really good at photographing my tank.

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:31 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Ya, thanks Steve! I didn't mind the G9 (I had a G7 before it)...I got some pixelation when trying to capture lower light photos. I'm not sure what specs would affect that.

I was looking at the Canon underwater cases, but was also considering the much cheaper DicaPac cases since I have to buy a whole new camera right now (trip to Kauai coming up in April). I'm thinking and underwater case would come in handy when taking macros of corals that are not near the glass and may prevent another swimming camera death!
Probably just high iso, typical with any compact, if you take slower slots with a tripod you could turn the iso down and probably reduce that quite a bit.

I wouldn't use one of those DicaPac cases except for maybe rain protection, definitely not submersible. Typically you can pick up a used G9 in good shape for $200 or less so check out kijiji or ebay. The Cannon case is only $200 so if you're planning on any diving or snorkeling then it's well worth it but if not then maybe the cheaper alternative is all you need.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I don't know how to deal with RAW photos...I should learn. I would like to get really good at photographing my tank.
You had a G9 and didn't use RAW
Old 03-16-2012, 03:43 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Haha, no I didn't know how to process RAW afterwards.

I thought the Canon waterproof case was $250? I do plan to use it for snorkeling and in my tank. The DicaPac has good reviews...?

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:45 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I thought the Canon waterproof case was $250? I do plan to use it for snorkeling and in my tank. The DicaPac has good reviews...?
i find light room is best for processing raw, especially if you have a whole bunch at a time.

and 250 for a waterproof case is nothing. some dslr underwater housings are over 5 grand
Old 03-16-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:

I got mine for $200 so probably depends where you buy it. Good reviews or not it's a ziplock bag with a glass lens attached to it.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:54 PM

scubadawg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoD View Post
i find light room is best for processing raw, especially if you have a whole bunch at a time.

and 250 for a waterproof case is nothing. some dslr underwater housings are over 5 grand
Don't talk to me about underwater housing, I have a Sea&Sea D200 housing, with the fisheye dome port, and flat ports, focusing gears, etc
and a Light and Motion D200 housing with the Glass Fisheye dome ports, flat ports, Nikon underwater strobes, Ultralight arms.
Then an undervideo housing with HID lights, etc

That's why I didn't update my D200's, because then I have to buy a new housing at 4K or more. I would love to get a housing for my D700.

I still have an housing for my F100 (film camera), plus you need to service the housing every 3 years or so at a cost of 1K.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:54 PM

Veng68 is on a distinguished road

One day I may get one of these

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/14/l...um/#more-56033

Cheers,
Vic
Old 03-16-2012, 03:57 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veng68 View Post
One day I may get one of these

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/14/l...um/#more-56033

Cheers,
Vic
still waiting for mine
Old 03-16-2012, 04:30 PM

saltcreep is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Be careful of Canon waterproof housings. I had one that flooded on my last trip and it was found to be defective. Luckily it was replaced, along with a new camera (S100). After a bit of research, it appears there are issues with the mould lines from production. They don't allow the o-ring to seat properly and allows water to enter. This was my wife's camera and we thought we would go a little cheaper on the housing as it wasn't going to be a secondary camera. Needless to say, we have a new Ikelite housing ($350) arriving any day soon. I've had no problems with my Ikelite for my G11.

As for RAW, if you purchase a new Canon camera, the software that comes with it includes Digital Photo Professional that will handle RAW processing. Easy as pie. I now shoot nothing but RAW when diving. I've got a few pictures in my office that have been enlarged and they look pretty good.