Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Photography

Old 07-20-2010, 05:09 PM

vaporize is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to vaporize

I have one Olympus Stylus and another Olympus W560 (on sale at $89.99 at SIG - http://www.sigelectronics.com/SIG/Ol...4Pa38Ta38Oa3n0) .

The Stylus takes much nicer pictures and with macro shots functions on some. The $89.99 is exactly what it is, a cheaper POS camera with underwater function, useful but the quality definitely degrades alot comparing to the Stylus (but it's cheap at $89.99).

I think comparing to my Canon normal A720 POS, the Canon is by far much much better auto-focus and takes nicer pictures (even the Canon is like 2 years older I think). This one is not water proof or anything, just speaking about picture quality.
Red Sea, Black Saddleback, Brown Camel, Orange Fin, Melanistic Clarkii, Common Clarkii, True Percula, True Picassco, Pink Skunk, Orange Skunk, Maldives Clown, TRUE Sebae clown, Akin Clown, Gold Striped Maroon, White Striped Maroon, Latezonatus
Old 07-20-2010, 06:03 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I looked at those exact 2 myself. I can't remember what specifically pushed me to the D10, it was either cost or maybe the 8000 hadn't been released quite yet when I was looking (and I sort of needed it right away as I was going on a trip a week later where I would be diving). Hard to go wrong with either Olympus or Canon in my opinion though so pick the one that feels nicer in your hand. I love my D10, I take it everywhere. The goofy shape doesn't bother me, it's still small enough to fit in my pocket.

The only thing I wish the D10 did is shoot HD video. I don't think the 8000 will either, though. If memory serves, specification-wise they are pretty equivalent cameras. I think..

Anyhow I doubt you can go wrong with either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkton View Post
im kinda deciding on whether to get the olympic stylus 8000 or the canon d10, or any other waterproof camera. I hear better things about the canon d10, but i dont like its odd shape and color. Anyone out there that can simplify the choices for me (us)??
Old 07-21-2010, 12:34 AM

milkton is an unknown quantity at this point

alright thanks for the advice, and once again im still leaning towards the d10. fencer and gongshow brought up the panasonic lumix ts2 and i was kinda wondering about that camera as well, i'v heard it takes 14mp pics and has water, sand, shock, freeze, etc. proof as well. Although a bit more pricey than the d10 and stylus, anyone given that a try??
Old 07-23-2010, 04:48 AM

fLshgear is on a distinguished road

check out http://www.dpreview.com/news/0902/09021805canond10.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209...roup/page5.asp

dpreview is a great site for comparison and just general info on cameras and accessories

you can do side by side comparison under buying guide
Old 08-26-2010, 04:19 PM

Namnuta is on a distinguished road

I used to use a Canon A610 with dive enclosure. But i recently upgraded to a Canon G11 and have the enclosure on order. The G11 takes amazing pictures. Enclosure is good to 130ft, and cost me $200 usd.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:25 PM

saltcreep is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namnuta View Post
I used to use a Canon A610 with dive enclosure. But i recently upgraded to a Canon G11 and have the enclosure on order. The G11 takes amazing pictures. Enclosure is good to 130ft, and cost me $200 usd.
+1

The major factor in your decision is what the intended use will be. If you are intending for quite a bit of underwater use but are wanting a land camera, I would highly recommend going with the G11 and a proper underwater housing. You can never be too careful (ask my wife about our camera).

I'm eyeing the new Sealife DC1200 for an upcoming trip. Mantas and whale sharks....hopefully.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:30 PM

NanoHuman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to NanoHuman

Buying a point and shoot and a underwater housing is the best thing to do.

Sony makes excellent housings for some of its point and shoot lines, some of which come with software that can automatically filter so you get proper pictures without having to use a orange colored lens cover.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:57 AM
Banned

spawn is on a distinguished road

Hey how's it going. What setting's are you using to get fair-good quality in tank photo's? I've got the same camera, but it's real tough to get any good color or in-focus shot's. I've played around with it quite a bit. I did get some sweet shot's and video diving in the Dominican, (Boring Diving)max depth on dive was 48' for 32 min. No problems with the camera, apparently there is a case you can get for it to go deeper. I was nervous @ that depth, but kept filming anyway to keep up with the group.