Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Photography

Old 05-09-2013, 02:57 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Cool, thanks. Most if not all of my lenses are in fact FX because I've had them longer than the camera body (coming off 35mm *film* .. yeah, I guess I'm dating myself with that statement. Of course, I only date myself because nobody else will. Ba da bing! Thank you thank you I'm here all week.). I think I have 1 lens that is meant for DX, I have to take a closer look at it as I haven't used it in a while.

Maybe the thing to do would be to sell off the lot and start over with newer equipment... so that the whole gamet is of similar vintage since what I have right now is a fair range of ages spanning quite a few years. I dunno.

The D700 was another camera I had been flirting with the idea of the last couple years. For its age I hear it's still a very good option. This was one of the reasons I had started considering the D600 though. New has a nice sounding flair to it and all.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:07 PM

scubadawg is on a distinguished road

Personally IMHO, just go for it and get D800, it's 36 meg, so you will not be upgrading for a very long time.
I'm getting a new underwater housing for my d800 since they now have strobes that are fully automatic now with the d800, finally replacing my d200 and nikonos strobes underwater.
This will be my last upgrade for a very long time.
How much more do you need?
I use my D800 as primary camera and D700 as backup.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:48 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Kind of off topic but curious if you have ever looked into the Nikon-1 line at all? I sort of wonder if at some point the mirrorless cameras are going to overtake the DSLRs.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:03 PM

Personally I like a real viewfinder
Old 05-09-2013, 05:28 PM

smareo is on a distinguished road

I use a Olympus OMD E-5 and love it. The nikon mirrorless system isn't that great in my opinion. The Olympus OMD is more of a polished system and its pretty sweet for convince, but if your paying for that prize 1200 for the kit... I would personally go for a d700. D800 is a great camera but are you willing to drop 3000 bucks on it for fishtank portrait shoots?
Old 05-09-2013, 06:00 PM

I look at economics, a D600 or D700 is $2000.00 or so, the D800 is $3000.00, if you use it for 5-7 years then the extra $1000.00 is only 200.00 a year or so difference.

I used my D200 and housing for 5 years, and now upgrading to a new housing. So when you consider, 2 strobes at 750.00 each, and housing at 3500.00 approx, I look at getting 5 years out of an housing. I have all the ports and gears for the lenses.

I don't plan on upgrading my D800 and housing for at least 5-7 years or more.

I plan to buy another D800 or D800e, in the future as a backup.

I have 2 D200, which I still own with 2 housings, and 3 Nikonos strobes, which I'm keeping, because what are they worth to sell

I still have my film cameras, Hasselblads, Leica, Nikon F100's etc.

If your spending 2k, what's another 1k, you already into an expensive hobby, reef tank.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:06 PM

smareo is on a distinguished road

Nikon d700 don't go for 2000 anymore and plus it's really hard to find a brand new one these days. On the used market you can easily score one for 1000 - 1300 bucks with a low shutter count under 10k and you could put that extra 1000 bucks on a nice price of glass. Bodies go down in price but glass usually maintains it value, you only take about 10% hit when selling the glass while the bodies you just lost your investment when they release a new bodies
Old 05-09-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smareo View Post
Nikon d700 don't go for 2000 anymore and plus it's really hard to find a brand new one these days. On the used market you can easily score one for 1000 - 1300 bucks with a low shutter count under 10k and you could put that extra 1000 bucks on a nice price of glass. Bodies go down in price but glass usually maintains it value, you only take about 10% hit when selling the glass while the bodies you just lost your investment when they release a new bodies
I agree, whatever you decide, you'll be happy with decision.
If you decide to buy extra lenses in the future, go with full frame lenses.

To keep cost down, you can always get a D7100, but it's DX
Old 06-11-2013, 11:45 AM

verongome is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to verongome Send a message via Skype™ to verongome

I have a D800. What help did you need?