Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 01-11-2011, 01:35 AM

Ced is on a distinguished road
Default Intank Skimmer (TUNZE 9021, 9020) or Set up sump and use a SWC 230 Skimmer?

Hello there,

I am new to this forum and actually joined because of my re-awakened interest/passion with my 180 gallon FOWLR and anemones tank. I am trying to decide with either using a TUNZE 9021 in the tank skimmer or setting up a sump and using a SWC 230 skimmer (about to come out on the market). The tank is on a metal stand (I wish it was a cabinet) in my living room with carpet floor. The tank is drilled with an overflow box with a 2" bulkhead sealing it right now. I am interested in installing a sump and researched them heavily, but I am concerned about NOISE, water damage, and Murphy's Law. I like the idea of a sump for the ability of using a larger skimmer (SWC 230, with 70scfh of air pulled versus TUNZE 9021 with about 48scfh of air), increasing total water volume of system, auto top up is easier to install, possible increase in equipment (biopellets reactor), and larger refugium. I also have a MAG 9.5 from my leaking peace of junk Berlin skimmer I am presently using on my 90 gal quarantine tank.

What I like about the in-tank skimmer idea is that there seems to be less chance of something to go wrong with overflowing water, less NOISE from water entering and exiting the sump (even when using a Stockman's Standpipe), and easier to install (I would half to set up sump with existing 65 gallon spare tank, and do the piping). I was thinking I could install a small refugium in the existing overflow box in the corner.

I have been going back and fourth between these two options and was wondering what others thought about which way they would go. The noise with the sump is a concern since I do not have a cabinet (I know I could put wood around the stand, but knowing myself, it would take forever, and look pretty ugly). Will the TUNZE 9021 handle a fish only tank?

Thank you for your input ahead of time!

Last edited by Ced; 01-11-2011 at 02:58 AM. Reason: wrong title
Old 01-11-2011, 05:01 PM

Lampshade is on a distinguished road

Welcome to Canreef! (Or welcome back to canreef?)

If you use an auto top off and look into a herbie style return the sump should be very quiet in terms of noise. The loudest thing in my sump is my return pump's fan on the back, and that is very quiet. I'm the same way with finishing the stand, don't see the need to cover it, it works well as a stand, making it look pretty won't help me :P.

I noticed that if i leave my RODI off for a day or 2 the lower water level in the sump causes some water noise with the water comming over the baffles, but if i leave the RODI on the water level stays up with little noise.

Obviosuly the draw back to all in tank systems is the clutter that builds up, and limited options for expanding. I've been using biopellets on my new tank and i will probably never NOT use them again, i love those thigns so far. There's some nice hang on back refugiums around, but I don't see a huge benefit from a small one hanging from the tank, i like the bigger one in the sump.

I'm not sure about the Tunze skimmer, the 9020's rated for 500+ gallons, so should be able to handle it. I've been using the COMLINE calcium reactor and been very happy with it. It's half the size of most and i'm barley stressing the thing, It should have no problem as my corals grow.

Here's a nice page for skimmer comparison's if you havn't seen it yet:
http://aquariumcontrollers.com/files/skimmers.html
Old 01-11-2011, 09:41 PM

nlreefguy is on a distinguished road

My experience with HOB style skimmers is that they are usually a lot louder than in-sump models can be, maybe partly because the in-sump models usually sit in an enclosed stand.

I say go sump all the way and do yourself a favor and cover your stand even if you only do it to reduce noise levels, definitely worth it if you're picky about noise. You said it might be ugly if you do it, but just about any covering is prettier than the bottom of most people's tanks! I covered my own very well and I am nowhere near handy! Just some 1/4 inch plywood will do and you can even get the shop to saw it for you so you can just come home and tack it on and put some iron-on veneer on the edges. Even that is better than nothing. Put the door on as a panel with magnets if you suck at hinges.

I literally cannot hear the contents of my sump under normal conditions, or even the water entering and exiting. I still say that the skimmer is the loudest part of the system but I'm splitting hairs since I can't hear any of it unless I turn off every appliance in my house and nobody's home!

Not sure on the Tunze's by the way, but I have heard that they don't compare to the newest generation needle-wheels (e.g. SWC, Bubble Magus (I am currently running the NAC6A), Bubble -King, Vertex, etc). If you can, get a Deltec! Those things rock - best skimmer I ever owned was an AP701. Truly, the only piece of aquarium gear I EVER owned that I was totally happy with.

Tags
180 gal tank, noise, sump, swc, tunze