Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 07-03-2011, 06:46 PM

Dive_dry is on a distinguished road

if you use a tube and pour the sand down the inside of the tube your tank wont silt up as bad. just a little trick i learned
Old 07-10-2011, 08:36 PM

DisneyCoralReef is on a distinguished road
Default Update

So the tank is looking good. It's still very foggy inside as the sand starts settling, but you can very slowly see some clearing up every day. I am running into an issue however with the pump.

I don't know if it's this pump specifically, or if it's something going on with my set up-but it's LOUD. I have been around multiple tanks that were similar in size, and this pump very loud. Now I can take a video to try to give you an idea of what it sounds like, but it is definitely much louder than what I would have expected a pump to be. I've tried changing the volume of the water in pumps out, and it does get a little bit quieter if I open it up, but it is still quite loud(having it more open really changed the entire way the water cycles through the tank. Should I try to sit the pump on something to help reduce that vibration? no idea what to do with this one.

The other issue as well, is I filled my sump at the recommended amount for my skimmer, but wanted to know if there were any tips or tricks to try to lower the volume of the sound it makes when it spits the water back out. I've tried rotating it a bit closer to the side of the sump wall, to help the water hit that instead of spitting it it right out. I thought about adding(I think it's 1 inch PVC) where it spits out, to have it go right into the water-bad idea?

Tho the sounds of the skimmer I really don't mind.

As for the corner overflow, regarding how full it is, how much water should I have? the less water there is, the higher it has to go when dropping into the corner overflow, and the louder I am assuming it is going to be. Advice?
Old 07-10-2011, 08:59 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

A thick peice of rubber that is not going to leach anything out of it placed underneath your pump should help with the noise. You can put a down spout on your skimmer, it wont hurt anything. If possible can you move the skimmer farther over to the left side of your sump? Adding live rock to your sump is also a good way to help with filtration.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:02 PM

Great advice, I'll go see if I can get some PVC for the skimmer and hunt down something that holds weight that I can put in the sump. The tank isn't anywhere ready to accept live rock yet, so its not yet an option, but ill go try this. Not comfortable enough with the rubber idea tho, not sure what i could use that would be safe for the tank.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:15 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

I'd be adding that live rock as soon as you can to start it cycling so you can start adding all the cool stuff. You can also shorten your pcv pipe by an inch or so which will make it so your pump is not touching the bottom or side of your sump. That will stop the humming or rattling sound. Just make sure that the pcv is anchored or supported somehow so the weight of your pump is not putting any stress on your plumbing. But putting rubber on the bottom of your pump is just going to dampen the sound and really should'nt hurt your water parameters. Anything food safe will be good.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:17 PM

Boomboy is on a distinguished road

looks good, keep it up, its always so muc fun setting up brand new tanks and getting them going the the bitter sweet of taking care of it comes in, and never having enough money
Old 07-10-2011, 09:37 PM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

I use the pink insulation stryofoam that most use use their tanks. I used a couple rubber bands and attached it to the base of my pump. You can also put some sand in a ziploc bag and put that under the pump.

You could also be noise sensative. Get an eheim 1250 or 1260/1262. They are dead silent and I too am noise sensitive. I can hear electronics buzz that most can't so my idea of quiet is very different from others. I ve seen a couple setups that people swear are silent that would keep my whole family up at night.

U should put ur rock in now to start the cycle. There's nothing wrong with ur tank that will improve if u wait longer. I would get dead rock from Eco-reefer or cacoareef and just seed it with 5lbs of really nice live stuff. A cup of sand from a trusted reefers tank will get ur sand going too. This will ensure ur tank remains pest free and reduces the chances of algae blooms.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi delt reefer View Post
I use the pink insulation stryofoam that most use use their tanks. I used a couple rubber bands and attached it to the base of my pump. You can also put some sand in a ziploc bag and put that under the pump.
I know exactly what you're talking about. I'll go see if I can find some over my break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi delt reefer View Post
You could also be noise sensative. Get an eheim 1250 or 1260/1262. They are dead silent and I too am noise sensitive. I can hear electronics buzz that most can't so my idea of quiet is very different from others. I ve seen a couple setups that people swear are silent that would keep my whole family up at night.
...and you're probably right with that as well. We have had tanks that had some sort of regular "noise", but nothing to this extent, but then again, we have never had a tank that size in our house either.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:17 PM

Alright we have 10 lbs of live rock and we have the pink insulation. Will put it in tonight, and let you know how that goes. Appreciate the advice!
Old 07-11-2011, 01:03 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
I'd be adding that live rock as soon as you can to start it cycling so you can start adding all the cool stuff. You can also shorten your pcv pipe by an inch or so which will make it so your pump is not touching the bottom or side of your sump. That will stop the humming or rattling sound. Just make sure that the pcv is anchored or supported somehow so the weight of your pump is not putting any stress on your plumbing. But putting rubber on the bottom of your pump is just going to dampen the sound and really should'nt hurt your water parameters. Anything food safe will be good.
+1.....if you've got water(salted) in the tank and are happy with how the return and drains are functioning (aside from the noise(that will just take some tweaking)).....then get your rock in there Girly!......the rock doesnt care how cloudy the water is......might as well get the cycle started......

I cant remember if your return lines are over the top or if they are drilled???....if they are drilled, then I wouldnt "suspend" the return pump.....the pump vibration coupled with the weight of the pump and plumbing hanging from it could over time cause the bulkhead hole to fail and crack....best and easiest to go with a piece of dampening foam or rubber under the pump imho....
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694