Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tips and Tricks

Old 11-08-2007, 03:33 AM

Matt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
any hints on how to measure 1.1350grams?
That's darned close to a quarter of a teaspoon.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:13 AM

Zylumn is on a distinguished road

A little trick I have been using as of late due to the fact I have been doing large water changes every day. I have 5 gal buckets that I heat water and add salt to with a small heater and power head. As of late I have had to do more than 5g changes and it is a pain to setup another heater and power head. So I have been adding 3 or four times the required amount of salt and heat to 90 degrees and found once mixed for 24 hrs I can dilute in a separate bucket and it mixes up in a minute.
Kevin
Old 11-11-2007, 05:25 PM

fishface is on a distinguished road

here's a bit of a warning regarding auto-top off systems. i've been running my FW top off water into a reservoir but checking my TDS from the RO/DI unit itself getting a TDS of 0...perfect right?

well, i just checked the water in the reservoir and to my surprise it was 35ppm and that's the water that feeds into my tank!! i guess it just slowly built up in there. so, a quick drain and refill every now and again "cleans" up that problem easily enough. hope this helps someone else.

ps. don't forget to flush upir membrane every week or so.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface View Post
here's a bit of a warning regarding auto-top off systems. i've been running my FW top off water into a reservoir but checking my TDS from the RO/DI unit itself getting a TDS of 0...perfect right?

well, i just checked the water in the reservoir and to my surprise it was 35ppm and that's the water that feeds into my tank!! i guess it just slowly built up in there. so, a quick drain and refill every now and again "cleans" up that problem easily enough. hope this helps someone else.
good one!! my reservoir gets a funky smell every once in awhile which is a good reminder to clean it out or at least let it dry out overnight. Never checked the TDS though, I think I'll try that

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:41 PM

surgeonfish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
good one!! my reservoir gets a funky smell every once in awhile which is a good reminder to clean it out or at least let it dry out overnight. Never checked the TDS though, I think I'll try that
I use a 55 gal tank for my reservoir. My TDS never goes up, but I do get a slime build up over time. I wipe down the tank every 1-2 weeks after my waterchange. I was looking for UV lights to run at night over the tank to help sterilize it. I don't know if you can get UV fluorescent bulbs that will fit into a regular aquarium canopy?
300 gal starphire custom built in pentagon reef (+90 gal sump on Blue Line 100 HD return pump, 210lb LR, Euro-Reef RC250 skimmer, 2x400W MH, 2x28W compacts, 2xTurbelle classic 4002 pumps & Turbelle Stream 6100 on 7095 Multicontroller, running ZEOvit)

Livestock
Fish: damsels; sailfin, yellow, regal & naso tangs; ocellaris & tomato clowns; lyretail anthias; foxface lo; flame angelfish
corals: a few
Old 11-11-2007, 07:47 PM

fishface is on a distinguished road

i believe the TDS was merely an accumulation built up over the course of a year, that's all. i never thought to check there since the TDS outta the line was 0 ppm.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:48 PM

atcguy is on a distinguished road

You should not run your RO unit on a float valve to top up a resevoir. I mean dont have the ro unit on all the time. Ro units are not meant to be run for short periods oftime, on off on off, ie. topping up resevoir . Best to let your resevoir to run down , set a reminder and then fill it right up every 3-4days. That way your Ro unit will run for a longer period of time. Much better for producing better water. Just my 2 cents!!
Old 09-10-2008, 03:55 AM

niloc16 is on a distinguished road

hey christy this a post marc started a gazillion years ago. some of these ideas could go to your new forum, which i think rocks by the way

my tank setup
Old 09-10-2008, 03:57 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Good call Colin!!

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.