Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-02-2012, 09:49 PM

fiorano is on a distinguished road
Default live rock biocube

So I am tearing down my 29 gallon and transferring my clowns to my 14 gallon biocube. I got one rock for the tank around 3 pounds from a friend but am at a loss as to what to do for the rest. The whole reason i am tearing down my other tank is because I am moving and also because i had an awful outbreak of pest algaes that i couldnt handle. now i dont want any of this bubble algae into my new aquarium. however if i already have clowns in the biocube i cant just buy rock from the lfs because it will start a cycle. I know there is an option to just cure rock in a bucket but it would be nice to not have to go through this process. is there a place that i can buy cured rock or should i just try and buy used rock off of a fellow reefer?
Also this cube is gonna be sweet, Im installing 2 panorama pro led modules and hoping for better light!!! gonna be a fun project
Old 01-02-2012, 09:51 PM

fiorano is on a distinguished road

or does anyone know of a surefire way that I can transfer my rocks to the biocube without introudicing that awful valonia algae?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:36 PM

FitoPharmer is on a distinguished road

The problem with bubble algae is in the nature of its reproduction. It makes spores and can quickly colonize different pieces of LR in your tank. What also makes this stuff a pain in the backside is the spores can take a while to develop to the point of being visible to a really good eye. If you put any rock or corals from a bubble algae infested tank into another aquarium you are taking a risk.

That being said I have had it in every one of my tanks. And I was always able to control it one way or another.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:45 PM

FitoPharmer is on a distinguished road

This may help you.

Reef keeping magazine:valonia algae