Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 07-09-2016, 04:00 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Save for pic

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 07-26-2016, 06:00 PM
Likes to play with Fish

Just a small update the tank has been cycling for awhile, got some hair algae that is slowly been coming off in fluffs. Have a strong cleaning crew that works 24/7 like 7/11....

I think about 8-10 hermits and 12 astrea.

I added a few fishy friends, JL loves me.

Achilles tang
Yellow watchmen
Oronate wrasse
Fire shrimp
Blue Chromis
Ring Cowrie

From before I have a Clown.

Also got a few sps frags and been slowly transferring sps from my other tank down.
In August I will transfer the rest of my Lps down maybe sooner as I've been really busy with Renos on my new condo in Burnaby.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 07-26-2016, 11:26 PM
The Don

Galizio is on a distinguished road

Nice stuff, really like the Achilles ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2016, 01:13 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post
Hey Myka long time no talk....It's abs plastic not hdpe! checked with the guy at the store he was nice enough to cut a sample piece and stick it in a bucket of tap water and the abs sank like a dollar bill swaying to the floor of a Vegas strip club, that's when I knew I was in bidness💦
The young fella also said it would bond to silicone as long as you rough up the smooth side. Abs is one side rough and the other smooth, at first I thought I would use the smooth side up but after carefull consideration and seeing my friends hermits go glass gliding on the their BB tanks I decided to use the rough side up. Also I think it gives it a more real texture and when the coraline covers the bottom it should give it a more real textured look.
Nice!!! Sinking is awesome - HDPE is such a PITA to work with. I also like your lighting choice. I wouldn't add any LEDs to that...I'd go for a couple ATI Actinic bulbs if anything for dusk/dawn. I haven't used actinic bulbs in years, and added one to my fixture a couple months ago, and holy cow does it ever make a difference!

Quote:
I added a few fishy friends, JL loves me.

Achilles tang
An Achilles for a 30" cube? Do you think that's a good idea? I've seen a 5" Achilles make a 10' tank look small.

SPS fanatic.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:55 AM
Likes to play with Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galizio View Post
Nice stuff, really like the Achilles ....

Thanks sir it is one of the only tangs other than black tang that I love....

Old 07-27-2016, 07:01 AM
Likes to play with Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Nice!!! Sinking is awesome - HDPE is such a PITA to work with. I also like your lighting choice. I wouldn't add any LEDs to that...I'd go for a couple ATI Actinic bulbs if anything for dusk/dawn. I haven't used actinic bulbs in years, and added one to my fixture a couple months ago, and holy cow does it ever make a difference!

An Achilles for a 30" cube? Do you think that's a good idea? I've seen a 5" Achilles make a 10' tank look small.
I have a 400w mh on at 11pm till 5am to keep heat down, I also have 2 strips of blue LEDs and 2 t5 sunblaster with reflector running Ati blue plus from 5pm till 11pm to help keep the heat down.

I didn't think it through well when I bought the fish, just that it was a fine specimen eating well, ich free and happy as can be so I grabbed it. A yellow tang would be better suited for this tank but I can say with the cooler temps and lots of flow and algae to pick on I hope to give him the best home I can for now....
He is about 3.25 inches now so I will rehome him into a 6 or 8ft tank when he grows alittle larger.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:44 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I have a 400w mh on at 11pm till 5am to keep heat down, I also have 2 strips of blue LEDs and 2 t5 sunblaster with reflector running Ati blue plus from 5pm till 11pm to help keep the heat down.

I didn't think it through well when I bought the fish, just that it was a fine specimen eating well, ich free and happy as can be so I grabbed it. A yellow tang would be better suited for this tank but I can say with the cooler temps and lots of flow and algae to pick on I hope to give him the best home I can for now....
He is about 3.25 inches now so I will rehome him into a 6 or 8ft tank when he grows alittle larger.
Ah, I didn't realize you picked out your lighting already.

That's a nice small size for the Achilles at least! I put a Tomini in my tank - pretty much the most docile tang there is. I'm trying to catch him out after only 6 months - he spends all day swimming up and down the corners of the tank.

SPS fanatic.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:24 PM
Likes to play with Fish

It's a baby Achilles compared to the ones I seen at aquarium in Maui, the most important thing about Achilles is they need lots of flow. These fish reside mostly in turbulent waters, crashing waves with lots of oxygenated water and they spend most of their day swimming through waves, so while a lot of us keep these fish in tanks none of us can actually replicate their true home. I will be getting even more flow for the tank soon.

Achilles can grow up to 10", my friend has a 12ft tank so I am sure once he outgrows this tank I will let him have my fish. But for now he's happy as heck since he is the boss of the tank, it's very important with these fish for them to be introduced early. If you have any other aggressors like a six line or Melanarus or smaller angels when you introduce this fish they can easily get stressed and ich. Sometimes if you're lucky they can fight off the ich after 6-8 months. But if they can't stop feeding then they perish very fast. Don't ask me how I know. I have only ever owned 1 other Achilles but usually it takes 2-3 before you have 1 strong survivor.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:01 AM
Likes to play with Fish

Well not much of an update but finished up my sump, added an AI Prime with some red macro algae and Zoas, palys, rock flower and anemone....

I also added a few more sps frags to the display!

Tested my water yesterday.

Mg 1400
Ca 380
Alk 6.5

I am making some slow adjustments to raise alk, I think 7 is where I'll be happy for now until I set up the doser.
Ca can raise up abit aswell but not super concerned ATM.

I hooked up my ato and dialed in skimmer to skim wet now that the water level in the sump is stable.

Also added a few new fish, long nose hawk, yellow coral goby, 2 spot blenny.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:31 PM

GMGQ is on a distinguished road

Hey welcome back, buddy!!! Looking good! I'm still several months away from jumping back in myself

You live in Burnaby now? No sht, me too! Where abouts r u??

2016/2017 180Gallon Build Coming Soon...