Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-10-2013, 02:38 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Ohh my cart has a Apex in it on JL site. But if I got it this morn Wonder if the mail would get it here Friday. I'm only 4.5hrs drive away. in 100 Mile House...

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 04-10-2013, 02:42 PM

BMW Rider is on a distinguished road

Another happy Apex owner here. I replaced my Aquatronica controller with an Apex last year after it died. The Apex is leaps and bounds ahead of the Aquatronica. I'm hardly even scratching the surface of the possibilities with the Apex. It does have a bit of a steep learning curve at first to figure out the programming, but once it's set up, it runs flawlessly. I have a wireless connection to mine, but still have not configured the remote access as I've not had much need or purpose for that. I do have plans to expand on it at some point. One of the nice things about it is that you can use alternately sourced input switches for many functions using the breakout box. I reused the float switch from my Aquatronica, minus the adapter module, and used a micro switch on the cabinet door to turn on the refuge light when doing maintenance.

Ed
60 gallon winter tank for pond fish.
300 gallon pond with waterfall.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:32 PM

FitoPharmer is on a distinguished road

My apex cost more then the my entire 20G setup, and it is worth every penny.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:29 PM

cblair is on a distinguished road

Yup another apex vote! It's awesome to be able o monitor and control your tank while your at work or away on a trip. Definitely worth every cent.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:12 PM

moppy is on a distinguished road

LOVE my apex...

Don't really know how I ran a tank without one. (OK, I do but it really does help A LOT!)
Old 04-11-2013, 05:30 PM

Midway is on a distinguished road

Apex all the way here too. Everything about maintenance of my tank is so much easier now with this controller, since water changes to shut off pumps, skimmer, return pumps, etc, etc, etc. Feed mode, email alerts, love it!. Really piece of mind about temp issues. If one of my heaters act up and fails at the on position, my tank would NOT be fried. If temp goes higher than I programmed it, please SHUT IT OFF!! yayyyyy
And everything I do it straight from my iPhone at home or away. Worth every single penny.

Man get to know yourself and you will get to know the Universe and the Gods!!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:44 AM

aquatechy is on a distinguished road

Why you should get an apex:

-Good build quality
-Best rate for dollar/controllable outlet (an energy bar 8 is close to the price of digital aquatic's 4-socket power bar.... hinthinthinthint...)
-Iphone/android app
remote monitoring
-AMAZEBALLLS customer service
-VDM module (built in if you buy pro) - good for controlling tunze pumps, lights, or DIY LEDS
-data logging + graphing
-has I/O breakout to run switches, auto-top off
-can interface with Ecotech Vortech pumps (and radions too,in the future I hear?)
-the APEX has it's own programming language, which is easily mastered. you can use this to design programming. for example, i have a special calcium reactor program, that keeps my calcium reactor pH between 6.4 and 6.6, but also monitors my tank pH to ensure it stays above 7.90. If it goes below 7.90, the reactor is shut off, no matter what.
-email alerts! (the APEX can be programmed to email you when things go awry with your tank)
-sound alarm (the same as email alerts, but this works well if you're at home)
- with the newly released leak detection module, the APEX can also protect your home with some strategically placed water sensors (can monitor floors, carpet, skimmer cup)
-ease of access to parts (J&L, MarineDepot, and Neptune systems are readily accessible to get parts and accessories)
Old 04-12-2013, 12:27 PM

allie_san is on a distinguished road

I've been tagging along on this thread since I can't decide between an apex and profilux..
Is there anything the profilux has over the apex? (ignoring the costs)
Old 04-12-2013, 12:45 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by allie_san View Post
Is there anything the profilux has over the apex? (ignoring the costs)
Pretty blue light display?
Old 04-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Just did a price comparison between Apex and this "Reef Angel" controller.......because my next purchase is a controller.

To make them do the same things (this is what I would want them to do as a base)

Temp
PH
Salinity
2 X powerbars
ATO
Wifi

Apex - $934.95
Reef Angel - $889.00

And the Apex has a tonne more controllable options, and the Breakout Box included in the quote has a lot of wikid features.... So APEX FTW.

Main issue with the Reef Angel is that you need to add an expensive "expansion module" for every little thing you want to add.

They call it addiction for a reason...

Last edited by FishyFishy!; 04-12-2013 at 01:11 PM.