Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-27-2015, 02:34 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

The tank I referenced doing this is using 25ml daily of 29% H2O2. It's about 120g system.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:48 AM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbudz604 View Post
Because I've had such good success with peroxide killing aptaisia/red turf algae/ and these bad ass bugs I'm going to start dosing my 36g. Gonna research the amounts I should be using, but I'm going to start with a drop or two. I'll keep my results posted.
Drop or two is useless.. Try 3.6ml a day
Old 04-27-2015, 02:52 AM

canadianbudz604 is on a distinguished road
Default Ok

Ya I put around 3
Old 04-27-2015, 10:18 PM

GoFish is on a distinguished road

So is 29% h2o2 nearly 10 times stronger than 3%? I've read that some people dose 1ml per 10g per day, don't recall if it was 3% or 29%, could be a huge difference if that's the case
Old 04-27-2015, 11:15 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
So is 29% h2o2 nearly 10 times stronger than 3%? I've read that some people dose 1ml per 10g per day, don't recall if it was 3% or 29%, could be a huge difference if that's the case
Yes, 29 is that much stronger than 3. The only tank I know of doing this is using 25ml of 29% in about 100g volume daily.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:20 PM

ClubReef is on a distinguished road

I have some recent experience with peroxide (3%) to help fight Dino's at 10% of my net water volume for about 2.5 weeks and from what I can tell it had no affect on my tank (positive or negative). I even upped my dosage to 25-25% on a few occasion..and nadda. Imo peroxide is low risk.. Would I use it again, nah
Old 04-28-2015, 02:11 AM

GoFish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubReef View Post
I have some recent experience with peroxide (3%) to help fight Dino's at 10% of my net water volume for about 2.5 weeks and from what I can tell it had no affect on my tank (positive or negative). I even upped my dosage to 25-25% on a few occasion..and nadda. Imo peroxide is low risk.. Would I use it again, nah
Just to clarify over the course of 2.5 weeks you added 1 gallon of peroxide to 10 gallons of tank water, into your tank directly? Or were you dipping stuff in that percent?
Old 04-28-2015, 02:27 AM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
Have heard Dietmar (Hillegom) and others talking about peroxide for some time, so decided to give it a try. Keep getting algae on my frag plug bases on the rack, where the tangs can't get at it very well.

So got some 3% at the drug store and mixed it 4:1 in a small container and dipped a frag just up to the base (not the whole frag) for 10 minutes. Just over a day later, the algae all turned white and the frag is none the worse for wear.

Will do a few more the next few days. If this works, sure beats trying to clean algae off the plugs every few weeks (or at least that's when I should).

Am not ready to try H202 in the whole tank, as am concerned about maybe killing too much other good algae (the kind that live inside corals).
Treating the frag plugs worked. Only need to do it for 5 minutes, though. Algae on the plug turns white and rescinds in a day or two. Frag itself is none the worse for wear. Beats trying to manually scrape off the algae or move the frag to a new plug every few weeks.

But will not dose my entire tank with peroxide. No need for that... A little algae here and there gives it the "natural" look and keeps my tangs busy.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:46 AM

ClubReef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
Just to clarify over the course of 2.5 weeks you added 1 gallon of peroxide to 10 gallons of tank water, into your tank directly? Or were you dipping stuff in that percent?
I apologize, my math is wrong and please don't use 1 gallon per 10 gallon of water . I was dosing about 1ml per 10 gallons directly into the tank and then went as far as 5 ml per gallon and usually twice a day for 2.5 weeks. When I went 5ml/gallon I was desperate because the dinoflagellates started to attack my corals. I didn't see any affect at all with the dosing. I eventually beat the crap out out of the dino with an aggressive increase in pH using kalkwasser. So from my experience the H202 didn't do anything for me but other reefers might have different results.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:52 PM

MKLKT is on a distinguished road

The few rocks I hand sprayed 50/50 H2O2/RODI have stayed bare and no sign of the aiptasia that I torched.

I've been dosing a couple of caps of 3% every night in combination with upping my Mg and increased skimming and it's having a drastic effect on the hair algae that had taken hold after the GSP spawnicide. A couple more weeks and I suspect it'll all disappear. Haven't done a water change yet, just doing mechanical removal of the loose stuff.