Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Contest 2012

Old 10-15-2012, 04:15 AM

nanoreefnewbie is on a distinguished road

Looking good bud..
Old 11-04-2012, 03:57 AM

Leach29 is on a distinguished road

Tank shot with water, and sand.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:08 AM

As everyone probably knows that Biocubes have 3 chambers in the back of the system, I have modify each chamber which will make the system run and thrive better than what the stock Biocube can do.

Chamber 1-
Oceanic Biocube skimmer and I also notched out the separator between C1 and C2 for increased flow, leaving the center of the separator for the skimmer to attach to with the stock clip that is on the skimmer.

Chamber 2-
Removed the bottom false grate and added live rock rubble, put the false grate back on then added a chunk of Chaeto Algae that is resting on the existing false bottom. This if going to provide perfect little refugium to help with denitrifying bacteria and the algae to help keep nitrates and phosphates under control, it is also a safe place for copepods and other foods for the tank to grow and reproduce.
I increased the flow through the drip plate by enlarging the drip plate holes and adding notches then have filter floss on top of the drip plate. 1.5 inches under the drip plate I made a grate to place the Pura Filtration Pad on this will catch most of the debris that the filter floss might miss and add the benefit chemical filtration power of PhosLock and activated carbon.
I mounted 4 LED light strips on the rear side of the Biocube shining through the glass to provide the Chaeto with sufficient light to grow.

Chamber 3-
Stock black sponge used to filter between C2 and C3 keeps the Chaeto out of the C3 return pump area. Clean this out weekly with pump off so no Chaeto sucks into tank. Glued a screen on overflow square hole between C2 and C3 (it traps Chaeto and debris from flowing over into C3 when the pump if off and water level rises) 50 Watt Heater is attached to back glass wall, Maxi Jet 900 utility pump that fits into bottom of the chamber suctioned to the glass bottom perfectly and return is connected to a Hydor deflector, which works great for providing different flow for the tank.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:58 AM

10lbs of live rock
Old 11-28-2012, 01:52 AM

new2reef is on a distinguished road

Awesome idea. I have been wanting to put a small cube in our little one's room also but wife has been blocking the idea.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:04 AM

We are so glad we set this up. It let's off such a nice glow at night with the 2 LEDs just enough to always be able to see the room, and a great water fall noise as well (white noise) I think they call it to help baby sleep?
Old 01-13-2013, 01:33 AM

Default Livestock

My goal right from the beginning was was to have fish that are active, have good colour and personalities. The most important thing to me was to have a light bio load, and fish that will work well in a 14 gallon.

I wanted lots of movement and colour for my corals as well.

Fish:

2- Occellaris Clownfish
1- Yellow Watchman Goby

Inverts:

8- Astraea Turbo Snails
2- Nassarius Snails
1- Blood Red Shrimp
1- Tiger Pistol Shrimp (paired up with yellow goby)
3- Maxi Mini
1- Green BTA

Corals:

1- Purple Plate
1- Purple Tip Hammer
1- Neon Green Frogspawn
1- Purple Torch Coral

Zoas and Palys:

Gold Mohawks
Radioactive Dragon Eyes
Misc zoas (don't no name yet?)
Misc Palys

Last edited by Leach29; 01-13-2013 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Forgot to add snails
Old 01-13-2013, 01:38 AM

Default Maxi Jet 900

I decided to add a Maxi Jet 900 to give the tank more flow, I noticed that there was some dead spots in the tank. I added it right under the Hydor deflector and it really seems to dispurse the water nicely.

So far I have noticed a big improvement, the fish and corals seem to be thriving under the new flow.