Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #2

Old 04-16-2009, 05:48 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

From some of the recent input another option could be total unlimited budget with a limited system volume. You get a total of six months, however the last three months are hands off, no livestock or hardware changes. The main challenge in the contest would be developing a sustainable system which is fair for both DIY'ers and purchasers. I think the total system volume would however have to be around 20 gallons or less though, once you start going bigger it gets too easy. The good thing about this is that some will think twice about expensive livestock as there's a bigger risk involved, removal of any livestock after the initial three months will result in immediate disqualification.

In the end you can't satisfy everyone, the person running this contest will have to step in with a final verdict.

Last edited by sphelps; 04-16-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:51 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron99 View Post
You don't necessarily need a Profilux for top offs etc. A simpler ATO can be had for alot less money and it is not hard to DIY an ATO for alot less than an off the shelf one.
wasn't talking about just top off, but for dosing all your nutrents also, a proflux with a 4 pump doser would give you a very constant and stable water chemistry.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
From some of the recent input another option could be total unlimited budget with a limited system volume.
unlimited is a little extream. much simpler to make a couple catagories.

25 gal system volume and under

26 to 50 gal system volume and under

and 51 to 75 gal system volume and under.

then for budget if you insist on having them for hardware come up with a $/gal figure for hardware and a $/gal figure for live stock.

say 20 to 30.00/gal hardware and 15.00/ gal for livestock.

so for the under 25 you would have a total budget of 500 to 750 for hardware and 375 for live stock

for the 26 to 50 you would have 1000 to 1500 for hardware and 750 for live stock

and for the 51 to 75 you would have 1500 to 2250 for hardware and 1125 for live stock.

now these are just example for the amounts. but this would actualy allow an overall "best in show" catagory where you could do just a tank shot and proportionaly the tanks will be even.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Last edited by StirCrazy; 04-17-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
wasn't talking about just top off, but for dosing all your nutrents also, a proflux with a 4 pump doser would give you a very constant and stable water chemistry.

Steve
I can't see anyone anyone connecting a profilux and 4 pump dosing to a nano for a contest, that's well over a thousand dollar investment. You might be looking too far into this.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:17 AM

Quote:
I can't see anyone anyone connecting a profilux and 4 pump dosing to a nano for a contest, that's well over a thousand dollar investment. You might be looking too far into this.
actualy under 800.00, and I would Automation = less work = me happy and wife happy when I am away

seriously though If I had the money I would put a set up like that on a 5 gal Nano.. maybe not the proflux but the stand alone doser. expecialy on a tank at work where I won't be in on the weekends.

The intention when I mentioned this was for bigger tanks say 20 gal and up.

Steve

Old 04-17-2009, 02:41 AM

profilux basic starter kit is around $600 plus another $600 for a 4 pump kit, so I'm assuming you're talking about a stand alone dosing kit? Either way not something you would see on a nano contest tank, however I say if someone wants to spend that much on such a tank let them, it still doesn't matter IMO. But if it's that much of a common concern just ban controllers.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:54 AM

Binare is on a distinguished road

No offense to anyone and none intended, but isn't all the fun being slowly ripped out of the whole idea?
Old 04-17-2009, 03:00 AM

Quote:
profilux basic starter kit is around $600 plus another $600 for a 4 pump kit, so I'm assuming you're talking about a stand alone dosing kit? Either way not something you would see on a nano contest tank, however I say if someone wants to spend that much on such a tank let them, it still doesn't matter IMO. But if it's that much of a common concern just ban controllers.
nope, you can get the beginner pack proflux, with a 4 pump doser, float levles, chemicles as a package for under 900

it would only be about 1K if you buy the parts seperate.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
nope, you can get the beginner pack proflux, with a 4 pump doser, float levles, chemicles as a package for under 900

it would only be about 1K if you buy the parts seperate.
Quite the deal, where from?
Old 04-17-2009, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binare View Post
No offense to anyone and none intended, but isn't all the fun being slowly ripped out of the whole idea?
I don't see much point for a discussion thread if you can't simply discuss. Just remember we're all friends here so if you find something offensive I'm sure it's not suppose to be