Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 07-10-2010, 06:14 AM

snow1 is on a distinguished road
Default 175g Saltwater predator tank - Update:Aug 10th/10- FISH ADDED

Well here is my long a waited saltwater tank.
Just thought I would give a bit of a story behind this tank:
This tank is only 175 but it is very heavy and hard to move. The reason being is that this tank is 31" wide and 26" tall, it's like a cube or square or whatever you want to call it shape. This tank will not fit through your regular doorway. At the sellers house we tried to go out the back and that did not work.....soooo we just took her front door off. The used a dolly to move it. I was just me, my dad and my grandfarther. It was SO hard to move this tank! and the heat did not help.
So anyways we got the tank home moved it back onto the stand.
As for now the tank is sitting empty, the live rock will be fine in a rubbermaid container with heaters and powerheads. I decided to leave the tank dirty and not clean it b/c it has a lot of good bacteria in it that will help me start it back up again. I will tidy it up a bit but it will look great once it's all filled up.

NOW what done:
As of right now the tanks sump is all hooked up and the plumbing is done, which I did myself....pretty pround. There is no water in it right now but I did put some water through just to make sure nothing leaked. We rested the canopy on top and the lights. Tomorrow I will finish the sump and set the lights up,heaters etc....
I WILL post the specs tomorrow but I'm to tired right now.
The tank came with everything right down to the glass magnet scrubber and 12 books on salt stuff. I went out and bought a 160g thing of IO but the tank already came with a bucket and more bags of salt. Came with a big container of prime too. There were also two small hermit crabs in there but not sure what happened to them, they might turn up one day.
Anyways here are some pics!

Here is what the tank looked like at the sellers house, BTW I was thinking is this live rock really alive, it has lots of coraline algae on it, it also has some type of moving plants this dissapears into the rock if you get close to it. It doesn't seem so live to me. Anyways I should note that I will be getting another 80LBS of live rock in the next week. ALSO I will be looking for some used live sand b/c there is not enough substrate in the tank, but that will be in a few days.

In the middle of taking down the sump at sellers house:

At my house:
Lights: Three fixtures that hold 4 bulbs each, came with extra bulb.

Last edited by snow1; 08-11-2010 at 03:45 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:15 AM

Cont....

Pics of the plumbing:

Overflows:
Right side:
Left side:
The tank at it's new place:

With canopy on top:

Thanks all for looking and more updates to come. My dad told me since this is your first time at salt why didn't you go with a bio cube? I told him go big or go home.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:32 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

The flower thingy you mentioned that dives back in the hole if you come near it what does it look like?? Can you post a pic?? Chances are it's a pest hitch hiker like aiptasia if it's the case best to kill em now before they over populate and they will very fast. When you buy more liverock Try to buy already cured rock or rock from a healthy system that us pest free, curing your own liverock is very easy. Cheers congrats on the new tank I'm liking the square rectangle thingy lol
Old 07-10-2010, 06:37 AM

After consulting my best friend google it does look like aiptasia. I"ll have to find it tomorrow. I only saw a small bunch and it's all piled in now so I can't find it...

SO does this rock look like it alive?
Old 07-10-2010, 06:38 AM

Oh and as for the LR I was going to buy it from a fish store for $3.50LB but I will look around to see if I can find some used.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:00 AM

Oh and for the "LR" there seems to be bacteria in it which makes it LR but it doesn't seem like any of the LR I have seen in the past....
Old 07-10-2010, 07:02 AM

Bloodasp is on a distinguished road

The idea of a live rock is not that because there are a whole bunch of critters crawling on them, well there are but what is most important about having live rock are the bacteria that live on them. They become your natural filters.
And also just from the price of the rock you are buying from the store i am assuming they are not live rock rather they are dry rock or base rock. Just a hunch but i could be wrong. Most LFS if that is where you are buying it from sell them for at least $10 per lb.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:11 AM
R.I.P.

Of there's life like anemones and coraline algae plus the millions of bacteria you can't see it's alive and as the cycle completes bacteria are going to multiply and become it's own ecosystem.

Liverock takes many forms and comes from many places most people can't tell you where it comes from I have somecweird looking pieces and I've seen even weirder and nicer pieces in different tanks round, flat, branched, smooth, sharp, hard, brittle ... one of the most enjoying parts of your tank you'll have is custom picking out your liverock and trying to visualize it in your tank
Old 07-10-2010, 07:13 AM
R.I.P.

Same here liverock sells second hand for around $5/lb and up to $10 at lfs
Old 07-10-2010, 07:34 AM

No this rock is true live rock, they bring it in on a reg basis. They sell it for $9.20LB but I know the owners of the store for a very long time. They are happy that I'm getting into saltwater b/c it's what 70% of their stock and tanks are. I can't say though where I'm getting it from b/c I don't want to break that trust.

Oh and I just measured the saltinity in the bins with the rock with my refractometer and it's 1025. I'd like to be 1027 but it's a start.