Ya Dude is on a distinguished road

maybe have a door on the side so you could put a sump in that way
Old 04-29-2008, 05:45 AM

Ya Dude is on a distinguished road

hey untamed your idea wasnt there when I posted my idea,I swear ,I swear
but a door can be used more than once .If ya like
Old 04-29-2008, 05:54 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

How about a door on EACH end to make both of you happy?

The sides are screwed and glued. I doubt I could remove them at this point. I'd prefer to only be able to use a sump I can fully remove later if need be. Not sure the need would ever arise but like you said I can go with a taller one. I should have plenty of room as I don't think I'll run a refuge. I have a feeling that any useful fuge needs to be bigger than what I have space for in there.

I had considered placing one on a shelf in the stand. I do have a lot of height to play with. The innner height of the stand is more than 3 feet!

Last edited by lastlight; 04-29-2008 at 05:58 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:41 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Don't discount the benefit of a fuge. As for size...how is it that CPR can sell a hang on fuge (not big at all) if size/volume is so important? The important part is for the nutrient export and for the opportunity for pods to safely reproduce.

This is just my opinion but I know my numbers got better when I added my small fuge with my sump.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I was reading an article by Eric Borneman in which he said for any significant nutrient export the volume of the fuge would need to be as large or larger than the display to be of great significance. The majority of the same export would happen in the display anyways.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-12/eb/index.php

Myth 13 discusses this.

I do see the benefit as far as pods etc but I'm not sure how many make it alive into the display from an in-stand fuge after passing through a pump. I likely will have one because every little bit counts and it will up my total volume and stability.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:15 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

Are you thinking about running zeovit on this tank? If so a fuge would actually do more harm than good.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 04-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Gold Member

A few weeks ago I was actually just planning a 90 cube and intended to use Zeo. With a tank this size I don't want to put that much money out monthly just yet I don't think so initially I won't be. I think having a great skimmer and doing reguar water changes will take me far.

My main reason for wanting to run Zeovit was algae-related. My last tank was choked by the stuff and it frustrated me to no end. I've learned a few things and also plan to use supplemental lighting this time. I found I was running the halides way too long because I wanted to watch my tank all the time. This will allow me to view the tank longer and hit it with intense light for maybe 6 or 7 hrs a day. If I find myself battling algae again I'll reconsider Zeovit.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:02 AM
Gold Member

Not a whole lot different as far as my build goes. I've been busy getting the stand ready for the tank which should be in my hands sometime next week.

This is the completed stand with 3 coats of melamine and all cracks and bottom joints sealed with silicone. You can barely see the 1" drain opening in the back right. The idea is that any mishaps drain directly to the basement thus avoiding the wife's wrath. The stand can hold around 2" of water itself. I will perform water changes by opening a valve that feed a 1/2" pipe hovering just over the 1" drain hole.

Better look at the swissboard backing. The smaller holes are for letting heat out of the back while keeping my cats out of the stand. The large openings are to allow the drain lines to feed the sump. I imagine I might end up using a few of the vent holes as well for running pipes.

A look behind the stand which is set to allow for 6" deep external overflow. I'm not exactly sure what size the overflow will be but I can slide the stand to give me anywhere between 4" and 10" so I have my bases covered.

Last edited by lastlight; 05-22-2008 at 04:04 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:43 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Looking great so far! Good thinking on the drain.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:51 AM

gqlmao is on a distinguished road

Tagging along, looks promising and for sure a good tank journal!

Stanley,