Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-18-2004, 03:49 PM

Beverly is on a distinguished road
Default Want to Change VHO Tube Type

On our 3' 67g zoo/LPS tank, we have a Hamilton hood that handles 4x95w VHOs. Currently, we are using 2 URI 10000k 95w tubes and two URI Super Actinic 95w tubes. There are two ballasts with two tubes on each ballast. One ballast, with the two actinics, is on a half hour before and after the second ballast, which has the two 10000k tubes, is on.

The zoos and some of the LPSs are brilliantly coloured under actinic only and I really, REALLY like these colours, but realize that some daylight-type light is needed. I'd like to remove one of the 10000k tubes and replace it with another actinic, giving us one 10000k daylight-type tube and three actinics. Would this change be a problem for the corals in growth rate or for any other reasons? In your learned opinions, should we go ahead with this change?

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel
Old 09-18-2004, 04:15 PM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

I am thinking you will still have enough PAR for your tank residents, but I am also thinking that with even only one 10000K tube you will lose the wondrous colors you are experiencing with only the actinics. I am having similar problems on a smaller scale. I have two 28W pc bulbs on my 15G zoo holding tank. Just the actinic gives wonderful glowing colors. The problem is that it is only that particular actinic gives those colors. My other actinic bulbs on other tanks are not as great.
You might find that you will have to have a period in the day where you can enjoy the great colors, and the rest of the day not. Maybe schedule a sitting in front of the tank with a glass of wine time.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 09-18-2004, 08:16 PM

Beverly is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your opinion, boB Perhaps we could lengthen the time the actinics only are on, say in the evening when we are around more to enjoy the colours. Or, we could try three actinics and one 1000K for a few weeks to see what happens.

Unfortunately, wine is not my choice of drink, but spicy hot chocolate is

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel