Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 10-14-2010, 10:28 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

The skimmer is a DIY design. It is currently a dual beckett, but Kevin's going to add in a dual recirc/needlewheel design to bump up its efficiency. This was the same skimmer that got destroyed by Greyhound. Kevin rebuilt the box on it, but after about 6 months of testing is debating once again changing the box design because he isn't 100% happy with his first choice.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:38 PM

Alright we're now just one quote away from choosing our tank builder! I'm feeling pretty confident that I can meet my goal of having the tank in before December.

Per some of the feed back from Paul at Oceans Motions, I need to figure out where in the city I can buy spaflex and what is a reasonable price for it. I also need to do some plumbing shopping as I can now firmly say what size holes we'll be drilling and how many of them there will be.

So does anyone pig their plumbing? How are people cleaning their plumbing right now? One thing I want to try and do is make sure that everything is accessible, and replaceable in sections just in case there is a plug, or through normal wear and tear.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:57 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika View Post
I need to figure out where in the city I can buy spaflex and what is a reasonable price for it.
I think a lot of hot tub/sauna places carry spa flex. I get mine from Western Pump in the south east. Might be a tad far for you though. The good thing about Western Pump is that they sell everything else from pvc fittings, valves to cement. One stop shopping for my plumbing (except for gate valves).
Old 10-17-2010, 03:59 PM

Rbacchiega is on a distinguished road

+1 to Western Pump. I know when I was in town thats where I'd go if I couldn't find what I was looking for anywhere else.
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:19 PM

I think I'll just make a trip out of it and go to Western Pump. I wonder if they're open today?

**edit**
Maybe not. I apparently left my wallet at a friend's last night. Oops.

Last edited by michika; 10-17-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:13 PM

Tee hee hee! Pretty no?

Last edited by michika; 10-18-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:42 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Quote:
I need to figure out where in the city I can buy spaflex and what is a reasonable price for it. I also need to do some plumbing shopping as I can now firmly say what size holes we'll be drilling and how many of them there will be.
Boy, I'm glad someone listens to me on facebook when I answer to when someone asks me where to get flex PVC Western Pump! Western Pump! Western Pump! Spaflex = flex PVC.

My feelings are all hurt now! (j/k btw. )

Quote:
So does anyone pig their plumbing? How are people cleaning their plumbing right now? One thing I want to try and do is make sure that everything is accessible, and replaceable in sections just in case there is a plug, or through normal wear and tear.
I don't think there's any real need to pig plumbing for a tank. You won't really get wear and tear on plumbing nor should you expect blockages if you design it well enough (eg. minimize 90's and use strainers on intakes) but the insides of pipe get a good slime coat inside. If you wanted to clean this out on regular intervals just use enough unions in the pipe so that you can get access for a pipe cleaner and scrub away.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:48 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

Could also check with Gregg Distributors for SpaFlex. I used to buy from them all the time in Edmonton at a pretty good price. Pretty sure they have one in Calgary too.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:48 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Quote:
Tee hee hee! Pretty no?
Yes, but ... I assume that the depth is not really going to only be 1' 11-1/4" right ?

Also no worries about forgetting your wallet, Western Pump wouldn't have been open anyhow. They're in the Foothills industrial area and run typical hours for businesses over there - M-F/8-4 and Saturday is only 9-1.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:05 PM

I've kind of always been under the impression (and I don't know where I got it from) that Western pump just did fittings and rigid PVC! I'll hit up Gregg and Western Pump once the tank is in the house. I just don't want to pay the mark-up that I know some retailers put on their plumbing supplies, I'm cheap like that. Is SpaFlex a trade name?

I'll find a Saturday to go fill up my car with plumbing parts and fittings, and then when I inevitably forget some key part or piece I'll make a second, and then a third trip back on out.

Depth is still going to be 2ft, and width of 3ft. I never really looked at the numbers, just stared, drooled, and fantasized about how awesome this tank is going to look when its all done and starting to grow in.